RS (+EQ? +HP?) Role for Primary Workers

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
john84601-p40

RS (+EQ? +HP?) Role for Primary Workers

Post by john84601-p40 »

I was looking for a way to create a seperate (sub) role for RS women who work on Primary. I looked at adding an additional RS Group, but I don't want to pull these women out of VT in the RS Group #1 (will it? I assume so...).

Should I make a Sunday School Class for primary workers and track it that way? That would work for Primary workers who are not in a SS class b/c they are in Primary 2nd and 3rd hour, but I was hoping to do something similar for YW and YM and don't want to pull them off their regular SS class roles.

Ideas? Thanks...
John Wilkinson

(I'm trying to improve the accuracy of our Quarterly Reports).
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

What would the benefit of that be? Are those women with callings in Primary and YW not showing up on the RS printouts? I don't see how that would affect the quarterly reports.
fergie34-p40

Post by fergie34-p40 »

I see where this would be of help. I have found that workers in Primary/Sunday School don't always get counted on the RS/Priesthood rolls. If you had a roll for these workers they could mark it and then turn it in to RS/Priesthood to be added to the roll for the report.
Robert Ferguson
South Shore Ward, Plainview New York Stake
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Since Sunday School is not held at the same time as Priesthood or Relief Society, all Sunday School personnel should be in either of those meetings. Perhaps you meant those adults with callings in Young Men and Young Women in addition to Primary along with those that have out-of-unit callings such as full-time missionaries, stake officers and such.

Also, if the RS, EQ and HP secretaries are not recording those that have callings that keep them out of those meetings, they need additional training/reminders that they should be marking those persons as having attended (see Handbook 2 page 170 & 207).

For example, when I prepare the statistical report, I click on the links within the report for Total Melchizedek Priesthood holders, Total prospective elders, Total women, Total young men, Total young women, and Total Children ages 3 (as of 1 January) through 11 years, and give these printouts to the respective organization's secretaries with the following instruction:

"Mark on these reports who attended your meetings at least once during the month of XXXX, and then return it to me. Don't forget to mark those that are in Primary, Young Men, Young Women, full-time missionaries, or stake officers as having attended your meetings. If there is anyone that is not on this list that should be, write their names in at the bottom so that I can follow up on it."
john84601-p40

Clarification

Post by john84601-p40 »

I understand that the secretaries for RS, EQ and HP should be tracking this... but it's not happening. We've done some retraining, but it is taking a long time to take hold.

Just trying to make it a little easier for them to be successful at their callings. And besides... GIGO.

So any ideas?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

john84601 wrote:I was looking for a way to create a seperate (sub) roll for RS women who work on Primary. I looked at adding an additional RS Group, but I don't want to pull these women out of VT in the RS Group #1 (will it? I assume so...).

Removing a woman from the Relief Society organization will not affect her VT assignment (either as a teacher or as being taught). And creating a new RS Group won't affect VT, either. VT districts and companionships belong to a specific group, but there is no requirement that any Visiting teacher or teachee be a member of the group that owns the VT district.

So you could create RS Group 2 and use it only for members who serve in other callings during the RS block. RS Group 1 would continue to own all the VT districts and companionships. It's an unconventional idea, but it seems like it could work. I suppose you could even create Group 2 for Primary, Group 3 for YW, Group 4 for full-time missionaries, etc. if you wanted to distinguish all the different sisters who might need to be counted as attending RS without physically being there.

It appears you can do the same thing by creating a second Elders Quorum and removing any HP or Elders and placing them in EQ2 to track those who serve in YM or Primary. Again, Home Teaching could still be owned by EQ1; EQ2 would just be for rolls for those serving outside MP classes.
john84601 wrote:Should I make a Sunday School Class for primary workers and track it that way? That would work for Primary workers who are not in a SS class b/c they are in Primary 2nd and 3rd hour, but I was hoping to do something similar for YW and YM and don't want to pull them off their regular SS class rolls.

I don't see how it makes sense to use the SS organization for something that is essentially an RS issue. Like you said, it affects SS classes for YW workers, which is not desirable.

NOTE: I am by no means recommending this. I haven't thought through all the ramifications. I am merely responding to the request for creative suggestions.
opee

Post by opee »

Interesting solution and problem to remedy, but it sounds like a nightmare to keep current when calling changes happen in the Primary and YW, or YM...

It may just be easier to print out two rolls and highlight the sisters/brethren that are in Primary/YW/YM to remind the secretary to count them also each week.

Or copy and paste into Excel and edit the list there for a "customized" roll.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:So you could create RS Group 2 and use it only for members who serve in other callings during the RS block. RS Group 1 would continue to own all the VT districts and companionships. It's an unconventional idea, but it seems like it could work.
Yeah, it would work. However one problem is wouldn't it tend to lead the RS leaders to ignore the needs of the sisters whose calling keeps them out of the RS meeting? Off the rolls, out of mind is a very real human trait. :(

If the stats are down, the stats are down. Once training has been done, I think there's bigger issues to deal with then worrying about errors in the stats. I think the trend is more important then the actual number.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Alan_Brown wrote:NOTE: I am by no means recommending this. I haven't thought through all the ramifications. I am merely responding to the request for creative suggestions.
I think the most serious ramification is that instead of getting the RS to remember these people, you would be creating a way for them to not have to think about them at all. So many adults already complain that they feel isolated from the rest of the adults when they serve in YM, YW, and especially Primary. Training and prodding RS, EQ, & HP to remember these people is not just some ivory tower ideal. They are their brother's (and sister's) keepers.

How hard is it, really, to look at the roll and say "Oh, sister Jones wasn't in RS because she is in Nursery, Sister Jackson plays the piano in Primary, sister Potter is on a full-time mission"? When you don't make the effort to remember people, they fall through the cracks. Then you end up forgetting to invite the women in Primary and YW to things like Enrichment activities, because nobody remembers them. Out of sight, out of mind.
atticusewig

Post by atticusewig »

Another fun thing to do to the records would be to change people's
perferred name to include their calling.

Thus Smith, Mary would become Smith, Mary (Beehives Advisor).
That way, secretaries wouldn't have to remember where every
member serves.

Of course, all the other reports would look rather strange.

I'm not advocating this, just throwing out the possibilty.

- Atticus Ewig

Return to “Reports and Forms”