2014 scout fees will [not] be paid automatically

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
psnarula

2014 scout fees will [not] be paid automatically

Post by psnarula »

See the penultimate paragraph in the attachment. Does anybody know how this is going to work? How will it affect ward budgets?

"We’re pleased to announce that in 2014, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will pay the registration fees and unit liability insurance fees directly to the National Council. The Church of Jesus Christ unit charters and individual member registration forms will continue to be processed as normal, but registration and unit liability fees will no longer be collected or processed by the local council. This change will provide the Church, local councils, and the national office greater efficiencies in the administrative process."

TimRiker - comments below, although there has been some investigation, there do not seem to be any changes for 2014.
Attachments
scouting.pdf
(39.89 KiB) Downloaded 508 times
Last edited by TimRiker on Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: internal research
Gary_Miller

Re: 2014 scout fees will [not] be paid automatically

Post by Gary_Miller »

It won't effect the ward budget at all, scout registration never has.

Scouting registration has been paid from the general fund with the stake writing the check and sending it to the local council, who then sent it to National Council since around 1989. All that's changing is that CHQ will now send the funds straight to BSA National Council.

All Scouting registration no matter what type of scout unit or chartered organization goes directly to the National Council. Local Council does not get any of the registration fees.
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

It shouldn't affect ward or stake budgets at all. In the past, the registration fees have been taken out of a stake account that is immediately reimbursed, so there was zero affect on the stake budget. This change just moves the responsibility for cutting the check to CHQ instead of the local stake clerk's office.
atticusewig

Post by atticusewig »

Could we get an official LDS employee to confirm this ?

It looks legit, but it would be nice if such a big change is coming,
for the Office of the Presiding Bishop to issue a letter about it.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

atticusewig wrote:Could we get an official LDS employee to confirm this ?

It looks legit, but it would be nice if such a big change is coming,
for the Office of the Presiding Bishop to issue a letter about it.
It was announced by the BSA - I'm sure we'll see it by not getting the bill anymore. I was more interested in the 60% increase in yearly dues to do 'Administrative' costs. This program is really expensive.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

atticusewig wrote:Could we get an official LDS employee to confirm this ?
Not likely. We do not have any special connections for an issue such as this. Your best chance of an official response is to have your stake president run it up through the priesthood chain.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Right now, many of our units turn in their registration and then the BSA Council bills the stake. My guess is that they will just bill Church Headquarters now. Or maybe even the National BSA Office will bill and the Council will not have to worry about it.

Either way, we just won't worry about writing checks after the new year.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

JohnShaw wrote: I was more interested in the 60% increase in yearly dues to do 'Administrative' costs. This program is really expensive.
I wondered if the Church is doing this to have some "leverage." I can't imagine what a huge check that is to write so that every unit is included.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

JohnShaw wrote:This program is really expensive.
Yes, but I understand it is much more expensive in some other countries, Canada being one.
waynecooke

Post by waynecooke »

"I wondered if the Church is doing this to have some "leverage."" Perhaps so, in a number of areas.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”