Help With Family History Library

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
jviola

Help With Family History Library

Post by jviola »

Is there an active forum for the church's family history libraries? The forum I see in this forum doesn't have very many recent post. Anyway, I need to get up to speed with family history centers. I'm a new STS and was visiting one of our FHC in the southern part of our stake. The brother that is over the center was complaining about how slow the computers are. I found out that they have 1 computer from 2001 and 2 from 2003. It took me 15 minutes to login and open up the control panel. I'm trying to figure how I go about or who do I contact to order new computers.
Also, I was asked for a list of all the official church family History websites. Is there a place to go and see the list and what shortcuts should be put on the desktop?

Any help would be appreciated.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Help With Family History Library

Post by russellhltn »

jviola wrote:Is there an active forum for the church's family history libraries?
Not really. We don't have any participation from FamilySearch (Which I might add that while it's owned by the Church, it's a separate entity with a separate IT department. It wit: yes, you have two masters. <grin>)

jviola wrote:I'm a new STS and was visiting one of our FHC in the southern part of our stake.
First question I need to ask is "what kind" of center? Does it have it's own unit number, or is it a "Nonauthorized Cen
ter" - that is a creation of local units that has never been approved on high? If it's the latter, then you're on your own for computers.

jviola wrote:The brother that is over the center was complaining about how slow the computers are. I found out that they have 1 computer from 2001 and 2 from 2003. It took me 15 minutes to login and open up the control panel. I'm trying to figure how I go about or who do I contact to order new computers.
You probably need to talk to the FHC Support folks. Note that if the computers do not have Trivoli and/or Landesk installed, then they won't get inventoried. Also, if the direcor hasn't been filing monthy reports, that will prevent receiving casaded (hand-me-down "new") computers automatically.

jviola wrote:Also, I was asked for a list of all the official church family History websites. Is there a place to go and see the list and what shortcuts should be put on the desktop?
I don't think things get to that detail.

Something you should be aware of: As I said before, clerk computers and FHC computers are managed by separate IT departments. Be careful that you don't load something intended for one on the other. Both run Trivoli, Landesk and Sohpos. But each has it's own "version".

A couple of things to get you started:
FHC Operations Guide (2013)
Policy and Guidelines for Computers in Family History Centers
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

russellhltn wrote:Something you should be aware of: As I said before, clerk computers and FHC computers are managed by separate IT departments. Be careful that you don't load something intended for one on the other. Both run Trivoli, Landesk and Sohpos. But each has it's own "version".
If I may correct you. Landesk is now defunct on both platforms!

Sophos & Tivoli (correct spelling, auto correct can be very annoying sometimes). Tivoli is as you say the desktop management system used by both departments, but with different versions. Tivoli when installed will offer various FH bookmark/favourites options as well as FHC applications.

All dependent on this being a recognised FHC!

If the above applies, when Tivoli is initially installed, it can take several hours for the options to be made available! This can be very frustrating!
jviola

Post by jviola »

Thanks for the help. The FHC Operations Guide was great! I now have some direction and understanding on how the FHC works. Plus I have contact information.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

jviola wrote:Also, I was asked for a list of all the official church family History websites. Is there a place to go and see the list
As far as I know, all of the online official church family history resources are at FamilySearch.org, which was recently updated. There are also resources for people with family history callings here: https://www.lds.org/callings/temple-and ... y?lang=eng
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jviola wrote:Also, I was asked for a list of all the official church family History websites.
This would probably be a good start: Family History Center Services Portal
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Family History Centers”