Making digital version of chruch videos

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
ryanfalke-p40

Making digital version of chruch videos

Post by ryanfalke-p40 »

Are members allowed to make digital versions of the church videos and let others use them? Yes, I know this is possible, but how does the copyright work with the Church? What I'm getting at, is that there are a lot of great a/v resources that are not yet digital. Would it be possible to have some sort of project where members who were interested could start to digitize the meeting house libraries and post them on this site or wherever would be appropriate? Of course the files would have to be monitored for content and quality. Thoughts? Thanks.
--ryan
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I do not think this would be allowed under copyright laws. Yes, it would be nice, but I do not believe the law allows it.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

You are welcome to contact them directly and ask, although I believe lajackson is correct.

For information regarding Church copyrighted materials, you may contact the Church's Intellectual Property Office at:

Phone: 801-240-3959 or 1-800-453-3860, ext. 2-3959
Fax: 801-240-1187
E-Mail: cor-intellectualproperty@ldschurch.org.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

It would be nice of these were available on iTunes, or YouTube, or if there was a site on lds.org (LDS Tube?) that was as easy to navigate as either of these (coverflow for seminary videos anyone?).

Then you could download the video to your iPod or iPhone, plug it in to the TV (with this), and show it as part of lesson materials.
daddy-o-p40

Post by daddy-o-p40 »

ryanfalke, please share what you learn.
"What have I done for someone today?" Thomas Monson
BensMeister

I was thinking about this the other day.

Post by BensMeister »

I was sitting on my sofa reminiscing about some of those great slide shows from back in the day, and thought it would be great if I could watch them whenever I wanted, without having to go to the library and check out the equipment.

We have a film scanner, so I figure I could scan them in, record the audio, and make them into a slide show movie, or a PowerPoint (so that you could advance the slideshow when you hear the 'ding').

I'm afraid some of those classics will be gone for good one day.

It would be great if somebody could put the old media (commercials, church films, slide shows) onto a website: NostalgicLDS.org or something like that.

I haven't done anything about that though. I'm eagerly awaiting a report on the copyright requirements.

Return to “Other Member Technologies”