Continued problem with footnotes not showing

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
gardenway

Continued problem with footnotes not showing

Post by gardenway »

I see the following behavior in IE8, Firefox 15.01, Chrome running on Windows 7.

When viewing the following URL

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/112?lang=eng

I am not able to see footnotes. I can see the footnotes at

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testa ... 7?lang=eng

but, I cannot see them at the first link.

I have toggled the "Show/Hide Footnotes" link on the right sidebar to no avail.

Interestingly, when I click "Show Footnotes", the following happens:
1. the link label momentarily changes to "Hide Footnotes"
2. The screen refreshes
3. The link label returns to "Show Footnotes" and no footnotes are displayed in the scripture text.

Is anyone else seeing this?

John
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

gardenway wrote:Is anyone else seeing this?

Yes, I can see this. Note that it only happens when you are signed in to LDS.org, and it only happens with D&C Section 112 (I took the liberty of fixing the link in your post so that it actually links to D&C 112, matching the text inside the link).

I'm wondering if there is a problem with the content of D&C 112 so that it does not have the proper HTML tagging for showing footnotes. It does seem to look different from the other sections I examined.

[Moderator Note: I split this topic from the thread Footnote contents don't always display, since it is a different problem.]
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
chococatania

issues with footnotes

Post by chococatania »

I consistently have problems with the footnotes not showing. I use both Safari while on my mac and google chrome when on my pc.

If I look up a scripture using the search tool, usually, the footnotes are hidden. Then, I will push the "show footnotes" button. The screen will refresh, but still the footnotes are hidden.

I've learned that usually, I can go push either previous or next (chapter/section - at the top of the page), then go back to the scripture I want by pushing previous/next again. My footnotes usually appear.

But sometimes they don't.

Today, I am working in D&C 76, no footnotes. I pushed show footnotes. Nothing still (which is what happens like 95% of the time). Then, I pushed "next", and went to D&C 77 - which had footnotes. I pushed "Previous" chapter - and still no footnotes in 76.

I'm not sure what's going on - if there is something I should do differently, or if the site is just buggy.
aubinbl

Re: Continued problem with footnotes not showing

Post by aubinbl »

This is happening to me with John Chapter 6 - https://www.lds.org/scriptures/nt/john/6?lang=eng

I am running Mac OS X v.10.6.8 and Chrome 29.0.1547.57

It happens when I am logged out and logged in.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I haven't noticed this problem. I just tested Opera and Chrome on Windows and it works for John 6. I usually do scripture study on a Mac and haven't noticed missing footnotes. If I have time tonight I'll try John 6 on a Mac with Chrome.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I just checked this with Max OS X 10.6.8 and Chrome 29 and the footnotes hide and show as expected...on John 6; however, I tried D&C 76 and on Chrome I cannot get footnotes (logged in or logged out). Safari and Firefox work fine on D&C 76.

Hmmm...maybe I'm going to have to check out D&C 76 on Windows to see if there's an issue there. I only checked John 6 on Windows yesterday.
sterlingb

Post by sterlingb »

There could be a cookie problem here. I noticed while visiting the selected chapters that footnotes didn't show up at all, and then went to other books and chapters and no footnotes appeared there either. Clicking "Show Footnotes" did nothing but refresh the page. After logging in the footnotes appeared just fine.

I'm wondering if the site is reading a cookie value whether we're logged in or not. It might be better to have a server-side persisted preference for that, or simply retain it as a server-side session value.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

sterlingb wrote:There could be a cookie problem here. ... After logging in the footnotes appeared just fine.
This behavior is as expected. There is no access to your Notes and Journal data unless you sign in to link you to your account. There is no persistence between sessions for security reasons. There is also a time limit for a session without activity. I don't know what the session time limit is exactly.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
sterlingb

Post by sterlingb »

jdlessley wrote:\This behavior is as expected. There is no access to your Notes and Journal data unless you sign in to link you to your account. There is no persistence between sessions for security reasons. There is also a time limit for a session without activity. I don't know what the session time limit is exactly.
I'm not talking about notes and journal data, I'm talking just footnote links: the basic cross-references that should be available to all regardless of logging in.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

sterlingb wrote:I'm not talking about notes and journal data, I'm talking just footnote links...
I misunderstood and thought your comment was in relation to footnotes within Notes and Journal.

I did check cookie behavior for FireFox and Chrome on my Windows XP system and Firefox my Unbuntu system. There is a cookie, "disable-footnotes", that provides a Boolean true/false value for JavaScript variables. I am not seeing any footnote issues and the disable-footnotes cookie value matches the Show Footnotes and Hide Footnotes displayed text. I viewed the correlation using Firebug.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”