Additional fee for 881W

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
drepouille

Additional fee for 881W

Post by drepouille »

Our FM is replacing all Pix 501 and ASA 5505 firewalls in the stake with 881W firewalls. At one meetinghouse, the DSL is provided by Windstream. Windstream wants to add a $12 additional service charge for our "commercial firewall". We don't know why Windstream would see a difference between a 881W and a ASA 5505. How would they even know what type of firewall we were using?

We are paying $54.99 per month for "Business" DSL service, 6MB download speed. I have run speedtest.lds.org, and the fastest I've ever seen with the ASA 5505 is maybe 1.5 MB. I know the DSL modem has been provisioned for 6MB because I can login to the DSL modem configuration settings and see the provisioned speed there.

The only competition available at that meetinghouse is Charter, which provides cablemodem service for $115 per month. So the FM decided to pay the extra $12 per month to Windstream.

Another issue with Windstream is that they want to bundle all services, but the Church wants no bundled services. The FM wants to pay for Internet, and the stake pays for telephone. I know that unbundled services cost more, but that is the way the Church wants to do things.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
jroberts427
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Additional fee for 881W

Post by jroberts427 »

Dana, We are working on a Master Service Agreement with Charter that includes 25MB Internet service for $55/mo. Once the MSA is complete, you can order Charter service if you like. Or you can order it now, and we can convert it to the national account later. I will also check with Windstream on the extra service charge for the firewall.

Thanks,
Justin

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”