Video/wiki to hook sound system into phone broadcast

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
aclawson

Video/wiki to hook sound system into phone broadcast

Post by aclawson »

Is there a training video/wiring diagram showing the best way to get the pulpit microphone onto a phone line for an audio conference? (Without using the crab)
michaelfish

Re: Video/wiki to hook sound system into phone broadcast

Post by michaelfish »

training video/wiring diagram
This link, Audio Backup Solutions for Church Broadcasts has been created for training on how to get pulpit audio (from the microphone) onto a phone line.
(Without using the crab)
You'll need to use some sort of device or special cable to get the sound on a phone line. What kind of phone line are you talking about, cellular or Plain Old Telephone line (POTS)?
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Actually, being able to do it on either POTS or cellular would be quite handy.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

aclawson wrote:Actually, being able to do it on either POTS or cellular would be quite handy.
The problem with cellular is the audio bandwidth is quite limited compared to a POTS line. Just listen to any music on hold and you will understand. If cellular all you have, that's one thing, but if POTS is available it should always be the first choice.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

I've gone over every single inch, front and back, of the equipment and the conclusion is that this "audio output jack on the front of the satellite rack" simply does not exist. On the front of my rack I have test ports for each of the modulators (channels 3, 6 and 10 for English, CCTV and spanish respectively) and nothing else.

I guess FM is going to have to make some changes to my equipment stack before I can get this to work - there is an RCA port on the pulpit where the audio out port should be but I was somehow led to believe that it is actually a line in port, and even if it is an audio out line it is at least 150 feet away from the nearest phone jack. (Then again, if that's all I have that's all I have.)
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

I would suspect the jack at the pulpit is a line INput jack.

Did you check under the sacrament and clerk's tables? That's where our building's IN and OUT jack is. (Ours is only one RCA jack for both in and out. A switch next to the jack determines if it is an input or output.)

If you have a assisted hearing receiver then you have a line out jack anywhere in the building it can get reception.

Consider using a clerk's telephone instead of the hallway phone. Just plug the assisted hearing receiver into the TTAIB, EJ-10 or EJ-R 1 and connect the phone line. Your building should have one of these. If not, check with the FM group.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

That distance is to the clerk's phone - the hall phone has long been removed.

I'll have to look under the sacrament and clerk's tables - is there a churchwide standard of labeling?
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

The only thing that looks like it is related to a line out jack is on the wall behind the clerk's table: there are three connections:

* XLR - I know this works as this is where I patch the wireless mics into the system.

* A female 1/8" connection labeled "TAPE RECORDER - RECORD"

* What appears to be a very old female RCA connection labeled "playback".

There are two RCA jacks on the left of the pulpit labeled "aux input".

Nobody has any recollection of anybody ever using these tape recorder connections so they haven't been touched in at least 30+ years, probably longer than that.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

Now the question are, can you test for audio out of the 1/8" jack labeled "TAPE RECORDER - RECORD", and how far away is the telephone jack?
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

There is audio out. Closest phone is about 150 feet away but the demarc is only about 60 and only has two masonry walls between.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”