Ward Website training for members

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
preston.baxter

Ward Website training for members

Post by preston.baxter »

Attached is a set of website instructions that I use for our ward members. I set up a custom report in MLS that is comprised only of the member's full name, confirmation date and record number. Instead of printing the report, export it to a CSV file. This will be the data file that Word's MERGE feature use to populate the fields. (The forum didn't allow me to upload a sample CSV file to show the format.)

The document certainly doesn't cover ALL the site features, but I think it hits the highlights. Plus it is set up so that when someone simply has password issues I can print the first page only (with their membership information) instead of the whole document.

Preston
Attachments
Ward Website Instructions.doc
(169.5 KiB) Downloaded 950 times
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

preston.baxter wrote:Attached is a set of website instructions that I use for our ward members. I set up a custom report in MLS that is comprised only of the member's full name, confirmation date and record number. Instead of printing the report, export it to a CSV file. This will be the data file that Word's MERGE feature use to populate the fields. (The forum didn't allow me to upload a sample CSV file to show the format.)

The document certainly doesn't cover ALL the site features, but I think it hits the highlights. Plus it is set up so that when someone simply has password issues I can print the first page only (with their membership information) instead of the whole document.

Thanks for posting this. It's a nice layout and does give new users a good overview.

The one suggestion I would make is to mention the e-mail address under New Account; yes, it is optional, but I would strongly recommend it, since having an e-mail address is of course required for all the notification capabilities of the web site. If they don't enter it during new account setup, they are less likely to add it later by updating their profile.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Well done! You might want to add something about when sending emails for submitted calender items that the email is sent immediately upon approval, not a few days before the event.

I need to dig up the original "news" event for how to change your information. I've attached what I pulled off our site just now. The site tends to mess up the format, so it's kinda hard to read in notepad, but once rendered in a browser, it should be fine.

The format in the top is for a reason. The document uses the table tag. All the space at the top is to push the table tag from the summery view. Otherwise the summery on the website gets all messed up.

To use this, cut and paste the contents into the "news" submission window on your website. Be sure to edit the name of your stake in the 1st column, right side.
Attachments
Updating your information.txt
(4.35 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Here is a form I use whenever anyone expresses an interest in registering for the web site. A year ago I filled out one of these for each of the leaders and I plan on doing this again this spring.

How to Access the Cimarron Ward Web Site

1. Go to http://www.lds.org

2. Go to “Stake and Ward Web Sites” on right side of page.

3. Open “New User.”

4. Type in your membership # and confirmation date.

#___________________________confirm date____________________________

5. Type in a user name and password of your choice.

6. Fill in the rest of the information, including your email address and submit.

If you decide to change your email address at a later date, go to “update profile” in the upper right corner and make the change.

Any questions, call or email Zane Clark: 562-3684, zclark@cox.net

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”