Display of middle names

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
ChristeanAA

Display of middle names

Post by ChristeanAA »

Since I've been clerk, I've noticed that most all the members that have come into our ward are displayed everywhere, almost, with their full names - middle names are shown on mailing labels, at LDS.org, etc. The members listed before I became clerk do not show middle names. Is this as simple as when I receive new records, or request them, I should edit out the middle names? I can't find any settings for this, so it would seem my only option would be to go into the individual member screen and edit out middle names. I haven't done that yet, with concern that it would somehow fill upward to Church HQ? Any guidance here?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Display of middle names

Post by russellhltn »

I assume you're editing the "preferred name", not the full name.

I'm not sure if preferred name transfers when the record moves.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

russellhltn wrote:I'm not sure if preferred name transfers when the record moves.
The two times I have moved in the past three years my preferred name moved with my records.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

christeanaa wrote:...so it would seem my only option would be to go into the individual member screen and edit out middle names.
How would you know a member doesn't wish to be called by their middle name, or a variation of their name, e.g., "Rob" "Robbie" "Bob" "Bert" etc. for "Robert"? I wouldn't arbitrarily change a Preferred Name entry unless you actually know what a member prefers.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

christeanaa wrote:Since I've been clerk, I've noticed that most all the members that have come into our ward are displayed everywhere, almost, with their full names - middle names are shown on mailing labels, at LDS.org, etc. The members listed before I became clerk do not show middle names. Is this as simple as when I receive new records, or request them, I should edit out the middle names? I can't find any settings for this, so it would seem my only option would be to go into the individual member screen and edit out middle names. I haven't done that yet, with concern that it would somehow fill upward to Church HQ? Any guidance here?
The "preferred name" can be edited by the clerk and from what I understand it transfers with the records. But make sure you don't edit their actual full name unless there really is an error of some sort.

When a member moves in, you can ask them what they would like their name to appear as on the LDS.org directory – give them a few suggestions, like with no middle name, with just a middle initial, or with a name other than their first name... It is nice to be somewhat standardized for the directory but make sure it really is the member's preferred name.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”