Cisco 881W Failured every Sunday

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
jpapke

Cisco 881W Failured every Sunday

Post by jpapke »

Hi,
We have been working with global services for multiple months trying to troubleshoot our continual firewall and wireless problems to no avail. Our setup is very standard, CenturyLink DLS 40 Mbit public internet connection, Cisco 881W Firewall/Router, 3 Cisco access points and a Cisco 16 (?) port switch. We have a DHCP pool of 369 connections.

This serves 4 ward clerk offices plus the stake with hard wired connections and the entire building covered by wireless.
All week long the system is up and stays up. But almost every Sunday, sometime during the day the wireless will go down but the hard wired ports stay up. Once in a while the hard wired ports will also go down. On particularly bad days the wireless will go down 2-3 times.
Our only recourse has been to go up into the mezzanine and power cycle the 881W.

Is any one else seeing similar issues? The DSL has been rock solid for several months so I doubt there are any issues there.

Does anyone have a tech savvy contact in the GSC? we have tried several times to work with them online but thus far no resolution and no suggestions for what to try next.

We would love to get a log from the router to see if it is throwing any errors or other diagnostic info but we are not allowed to connect to it directly.

Thanks for any and all help.

Jeff Papke
Stake Clerk Meridian Idaho North Stake
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Cisco 881W Failured every Sunday

Post by russellhltn »

I'd suggest calling the GSC during normal business hours when the higher levels of support are there.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lucaslps

Post by lucaslps »

We had a similar problem recently on our stake center and also in one of our ward, the wireless signal just went off as if the firewall was turned off but then I noticed that the wired ports were active and only the wireless ports were off.
I called the GSC and they told me to reset the firewall(30 seconds pressing the reset button on the rear of the firewall then unplug it from power line +30 seconds then plug it in the power line again +30 seconds pressing the reset button). After this reset you have to activate the firewall again (as if you're installing a new one) but the problem were not solved.
I also checked the tm tool(tm.lds.org) and it shows me that everything is okay so since we do not have any kind of access to manage it we have to wait for another possible solution from GSC.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Call at 7am Mountain time and ask for someone who knows what they are doing....
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
jpapke

Post by jpapke »

I will try the the suggestion to call in early on a weekday to see if we can get someone who can help us. I know there is an issue with the router somehow. At a minimum there should be a log that can be captured. Seems like something is not setup properly for our environment.

Will post the results when I get them.

-Jeff Papke
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Check this post, especially around #10

https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 1&start=10

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”