Audio/Video Distribution Hubs (AVDH)

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Audio/Video Distribution Hubs (AVDH)

Post by russellhltn »

In this post, Church Employee Bob Torkelson mentioned the existence of the AVDH-1 and AVDH-2 available for purchase though the FM Group.

I thought this information/announcement needed to be broken out into its own thread.

You can find links to this device on the EMtech site.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Re: Audio/Video Distribution Hubs (AVDH)

Post by johnshaw »

Could we get a better description. I tried to view them online and can't tell what they do and how they do it.

If this device is limited to chapels that have a VGA already... isn't that pretty limited? We have 9 meetinghouses but only 1 has pre-existing VGA connection. Can the device be used in other ways?
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

JohnShaw wrote:Could we get a better description.
I think the AVDH1/AVDH2 User Guide does the best job of describing what they do, along with this connection diagram, both found on the website Russell referenced.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JohnShaw wrote:If this device is limited to chapels that have a VGA already... isn't that pretty limited?
The device appears to be a combination switch box and a VGA to composite adapter. So adding this will give you a VGA input. However, it is designed for sites with an existing video distribution. That would be sites with an existing satellite receiver.

If you go to the link I gave, you can then select the link to the model on the right and get more details.

The -1 is for sites that will be a webcasting origination site (usually a stake center). The -2 is for receive only sites.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Does anybody know offhand where I can find a manual (I/O connections in particular) of the typical meetinghouse modulator for the satellite systems?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

aclawson wrote:Does anybody know offhand where I can find a manual (I/O connections in particular) of the typical meetinghouse modulator for the satellite systems?
The Satellite Training Videos cover the typical satellite cabinet wiring pretty well and even show a couple of common variations from the recommended way.

And since the topic of this thread is AVDH, I just noticed they added a 4th video to the series which describes how an AVDH-1 or AVDH-2 would be integrated into an existing cabinet.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Since this got split off from the original post, perhaps my question is better asked here:
-------------------- original question from other post --------------------
jbtork wrote:Depending on your install, it is possible to have a VGA connection at the podium for a laptop that connects to the AVDH device that would be located in the Satellite Equipment closet.
What about an HDMI connection? With VGA allegedly going away in 2015, I would hope that the church can provide a solution that works with newer technology as well as older technology. I'm sure we'll have many years of people using VGA connectors after 2015, so I'd want to see both types of connectors available.
jbtork wrote:The input from the VGA is run through a scan converter in the AVDH device and then can be fed throughout the building using the AV equipment in the satellite cabinet, if your building is so equipped.
How well does this technology work with things like Excel (lots of small information that needs to be readable) and video? It's becoming more frequent that visiting General Authorities come with a laptop, and that's when we need to be able to distribute it to other rooms in the building.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:What about an HDMI connection?
Note that with the exception of the one VGA output to the podium, all outputs are composite outputs (SD video). To do anything else required just about everything in the rack to be replaced, and quite possibly the building cabling as well.

No doubt there will be adapters to VGA available for awhile, so I don't think that's an immediate concern.

This seems to me a 5-year stop gap. Maybe by then the video industry will have found its new standard for live/CCTV video and prices will come down.

mevans

Post by mevans »

russellhltn wrote:Note that with the exception of the one VGA output to the podium...
The AVDH device is for video output? I had thought it was for input, so you could distribute a VGA signal through composite video? Or is that a typo in your message?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:
russellhltn wrote:Note that with the exception of the one VGA output to the podium...
The AVDH device is for video output? I had thought it was for input, so you could distribute a VGA signal through composite video? Or is that a typo in your message?
The device handles both in and out to integrate webcasts into the system - both receiving and (in the case of the -1) transmitting. It's a combination of selector box, video distribution amp, audio distribution amp and VGA to composite converter as well as a panel-mount connectors for plugging in external devices.

However, the VGA "out" is really just a pass-though of the front panel VGA input. The signal will also be converted to composite video and fed to the modulator, so the signal will be available on the system, but at SD video quality.

So really, it's a SD video device that accommodates a PC VGA input. It looks nice, but it's functional life-span is limited to the life-span of SD video in the meetinghouse. How long that will be, your guess is as good as mine. It appears that some cable systems have stopped analog already. I can't remember the last DVD player with RF out that I've seen in the store. Lower power TV stations must stop analog by September 1, 2015. After that, it's only a matter of time before analog support disappears from TV sets which will force the issue. So my earlier post of a 5-year lifespan looks conservative.

Return to “Satellite”