Should there be a Gospel Principles Class Schedule?

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
jaredsholar

Should there be a Gospel Principles Class Schedule?

Post by jaredsholar »

My understanding is that the Gospel Principles class is the only class that should not have the lessons taught in order...lesson 1, lesson 2, lesson 3, and so on. Per the church handbook the lessons should be discussed with the Ward Mission Leader or missionaries and a lesson selected that would be best suited for the participants (investigators or new members) to help with any concerns they may be having. For some reason, on lds.org, when I go to TOOLS and click on LESSON SCHEDULE and then on GOSPEL PRINCIPLES, is shows the lesson schedule being taught in order, one lesson after the other. Is this a mistake made by my ward, stake, or lds.org?
mevans

Re: Should there be a Gospel Principles Class Schedule?

Post by mevans »

They can be setup however your unit desires. Apparently your unit has decided to publish a schedule in order, which is perfectly fine. Leaders can be inspired to do it this way.

For example...With the previous teacher in my ward the inspiration was to do the lessons in order. With the current teacher, the inspiration is to jump around. Sometimes the lesson is published on the schedule and sometimes it isn't. She updates the schedule as she sees fit.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The lessons are in a very clear and logical order for someone who is attending the class from the beginning to the end. I like the idea of the class being taught in order in general, but temporarily deviated from if the teacher feels inspired to teach something else a particular week. Each lesson builds on the previous one to some extent...
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

It is also quite possible that someone just automatically loaded the classes, which would have defaulted to their numerical order. Those who wish to rearrange them then have to go in and make those adjustments.

I have always been fond of the idea of generally teaching them in order, with an occasional excursion at special times or when the Spirit prompts.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

A few years ago when we had a stake sunday school president with a controlling personality, he sent out spreadsheet schedules for every class in the stake, including Gospel Principles class. I thought that was a bad idea.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Lesson Schedules”