Two deacons quorums

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
kleinman

Two deacons quorums

Post by kleinman »

I am trying to create two deacon quorum presidencies. When I "add position" and put the name of the second quorum pres. and list the title as quorum president, the system recognizes the 1st quorum president and won't let me create the second. I just got called, probably a newbie question, but any help would be appreciated.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Two deacons quorums

Post by aebrown »

[Moderator note: I split this question out from the Officers Sustained - two quorums topic, since it deals with a separate issue.]
kleinman wrote:I am trying to create two deacon quorum presidencies. When I "add position" and put the name of the second quorum pres. and list the title as quorum president, the system recognizes the 1st quorum president and won't let me create the second.
Before you try to add a second quorum presidency, you first need to create the second quorum. A single quorum can only have one presidency, but a second quorum can have its own presidency.

So go to Organizations > Deacons. Note that at the bottom there is a button labeled "Add Quorum". Click that to create the second quorum. For that new quorum, use the blue "Add Members" link in the Members section to specify which deacons are in that quorum. Once you have done that, you can use the blue "Add Position" link for the 2nd Quorum to specify the leadership of that quorum.
kleinman

Post by kleinman »

Awesome! Thank you :)
dkingshere

Post by dkingshere »

Looking at, Organizations > Deacons, and I don't see an "Add Quorum" button. Perhaps that feature was removed in a recent MLS update (seeing this post is over 2 yrs old). I don't see a way to do it in LCR either.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Managing classes and organizations is in Leader and Clerk Resources now. I don't have access to ward-level Leader and Clerk Resources to see specifics, but there should be an "Actions" menu when you're looking at the Deacons quorum that gives you the option to split it.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Organizations > Young Men
Click on the "View Organization" link next to the deacons quorum
Click on the "Actions" button above the deacons quorum presidency and choose Split Quorum
tskinn7

Post by tskinn7 »

In LCR I went to the "Edit" Pencil next to Deacons Quorum and selected "Split Quorum." I moved members of Quorum 1 into Quorum 2. However, those members are now absent from Quorum 1, and Quorum 2 is empty. I'm not sure where those members went!
gibbyr

Post by gibbyr »

I had difficulty finding the option for recombining our Deacons Quorums, when we used to have them split out. It hadn't occurred to me that it was in the very small edit icon (a small pencil motif) next to the title "Deacons Quorum 1"--which had an option to split the quorum, or to combine with Quorum 2. Once selected, the results are nearly instantaneous, with no confirmation prompt. This was fine for my case, as I truly did want it done. (Hope it's rare that it's selected in error, though.)
davidbchristensen

Post by davidbchristensen »

When you called new advisers for the quorums, were they all Assistant Advisers?
We recently split our deacons quorum into two, but it looks like there can only be one Deacons Adviser according to LCR (automatically assigned to the YM Second Counselor) and any number of Deacons Assistant Advisers.
Is my thinking right on this? It's what the tool hints at... This is nowhere in the Handbook that I could find, other than the Bishop can call assistant advisers.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

davidbchristensen wrote:When you called new advisers for the quorums, were they all Assistant Advisers?
We recently split our deacons quorum into two, but it looks like there can only be one Deacons Adviser according to LCR (automatically assigned to the YM Second Counselor) and any number of Deacons Assistant Advisers.
Is my thinking right on this? It's what the tool hints at... This is nowhere in the Handbook that I could find, other than the Bishop can call assistant advisers.
As far as I know LCR will only allow one Deacons Adviser. However, although the handbook mentions that the YM Second Counselor is the deacons quorum adviser LCR does not enforce that. You can enter someone else.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”