Create a 2nd LDS Account?

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
mcclurebr

Create a 2nd LDS Account?

Post by mcclurebr »

I teach released-time seminary and would like to show electronic scriptures (via lds.org or Gospel Library app) on the projector screen in my classroom. I want to have certain verses pre-marked and have notes show up there. But I don't want all of my personal marks and notes to be there also. What is the best way to do this? Should I create another LDS account? I assume there can only be one account per member so would I create another as if I were a non-member and use that one as my "teaching" account?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Create a 2nd LDS Account?

Post by jdlessley »

The LDS.org tools are not available to nonmembers. Creating a nonmember LDS Account would not give that account access to the Notes and Journal tool.

You may need to find some other method to make your presentations if you do not wish to use your personal Notes and Journal markups. I cannot think of any recommendations off the top of my head. But others may be able to provide some suggestions.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:The LDS.org tools are not available to nonmembers. Creating a nonmember LDS Account would not give that account access to the Notes and Journal tool.
Actually, although most tools are not available to nonmembers, the Notes and Journal feature is indeed available to nonmembers with an LDS Account.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Although you have a potential solution with the nonmember LDS account, I'd really like it if they did something like allow us to hide or show markings at the notebook level. Then I could select which notebooks whose markings I want to show at a given time.

I've already run into the problem that I can't mark a scripture more than once. For example, maybe I already marked verses 4-6 with a tag and comment and later I find I want to mark verses 3 and 4 with a different comment and tag. I can't do that now.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mevans wrote:I've already run into the problem that I can't mark a scripture more than once. For example, maybe I already marked verses 4-6 with a tag and comment and later I find I want to mark verses 3 and 4 with a different comment and tag. I can't do that now.
Are you talking about marking verses like that on LDS.org or in Gospel Library? I am able to mark overlapping verses with no problem on LDS.org.
mevans

Post by mevans »

aebrown wrote:
mevans wrote:I've already run into the problem that I can't mark a scripture more than once. For example, maybe I already marked verses 4-6 with a tag and comment and later I find I want to mark verses 3 and 4 with a different comment and tag. I can't do that now.
Are you talking about marking verses like that on LDS.org or in Gospel Library? I am able to mark overlapping verses with no problem on LDS.org.
Maybe something has improved? I just tried it and I could mark overlapping verses, but there were problems. Perhaps I'll look into this further when I have time and start a separate thread about my experiences.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Here are a few ideas:

1) You could install a fresh copy of the Gospel Library app and keep LDS.org / LDS Account syncing off. Then make whatever annotations you want for seminary. When you're done, delete this unsynced copy with seminary annotations, and install a new copy, this time turning on LDS.org sync to bring your personal annotations to the app.

2) Install two versions of Gospel Library on your device; one for your personal annotations (synced with LDS.org) and one for your seminary annotations (not synced). You can do this by a) installing version 2.5 and 3.0 (both are available as separate apps on the iOS app store) or b) joining the LDSTech project and downloading a beta version, which should install as a separate app.

3) If you have two devices, use one for seminary (not synced with LDS.org) and the other for personal study (synced with LDS.org).

4) Copy the verses into Microsoft Word or something equivalent and make the annotations there.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”