4:43 am, nine IPs leased

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
aclawson

4:43 am, nine IPs leased

Post by aclawson »

fm.lds.org is showing a current usage of 9. DHCP lease information isn't showing up (the spinny thing just keeps spinning and never shows the data).

Uptime: 7 Week(s), 3 Day(s), 10 Hour(s), 50 Minute(s)

Ping: LDS.org (56ms)

Inbound Usage: 0.977 Kbps
Peak Usage: (5,378.906 Kbps 2013-08-16 - 10:57:49 AM EDT)

Outbound Usage: 0.977 Kbps
Peak Usage: (1,287.109 Kbps 2013-08-18 - 12:57:55 PM EDT)

(all of the other units are also showing 0.977 Kbps at the moment, this can't be a coincidence).

Download Speed: 10762 kbps (1345.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1434 kbps (179.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 84 ms
Jitter: 1 ms
Packet Loss: 0%

// REBOOT //

(Does anybody know if rebooting the firewall also reboots the WAPs?)

System claims that it has rebooted, but not a single thing has changed other than an entry in the reboot history - though the uptime remains unchanged. Still 9 clients reportedly online, still no information from the DHCP lease report. There are two wards, stake offices and a couple of networked printers. Three WAPs and a router for the FHC that should be powered off at this time of night. Even assuming that everything was left powered up there are three active DHCP leases I can't identify.

Next update in 0:31 - (I wish there was a way to force a refresh of the status)

Update has completed, now there is an additional window reading "working please wait" with that spinny thing again. The page still shows that the last reboot was 7+ weeks ago. Checking another ward that I rebooted before I started to poke around in this firewall and it also does not reflect the requested reboot in its uptime.

Conclusion: there are some glitches with this technology.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: 4:43 am, nine IPs leased

Post by russellhltn »

If you have a 881W, then I believe one IP is taken up with the internal WAP. So if everyone left their equipment on, I'm counting 10 IPs:

2 Ward computers
1 Stake computer
2 networked printers
3 WAPs
1 WAP in router
1 FHC router
==============
10 DCHP IPs leased.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Didn't know about the internal WAP requiring its own IP, so I guess I'm good.

The uptime still hasn't changed, though - is there any way to tell which isn't working, the reboot or the uptime metric?
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Checkout this thread: -
https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=16076

I reported several weeks ago that I was unable to initiate a remote reboot of the firewall, on any of the Wards in my Stake. So the problem might be more widespread.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Weird - now I'm up to 12 DHCP clients when nobody would be expected to be in the building at this time. Lease list still not working.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aclawson wrote:Weird - now I'm up to 12 DHCP clients when nobody would be expected to be in the building at this time. Lease list still not working.
5:45AM local time, right? What about seminary?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Maybe, but in this ward all of the kids probably have a smartphone probably has an unlimited data plan or doesn't care about connecting to the building wifi.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

aclawson wrote:Maybe, but in this ward all of the kids probably have a smartphone probably has an unlimited data plan or doesn't care about connecting to the building wifi.
If they've entered the WiFi key just once into their personal device, some devices will reconnect to the building's WiFi automatically and use it as a preferred data network rather than using cell towers.

If you're in the building (or sometimes just the parking lot) during those times when all should be quiet, you can use a program like Fing to sniff out some very useful information on all the connected devices, both wired and wireless.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:
aclawson wrote:If you're in the building (or sometimes just the parking lot) during those times when all should be quiet, you can use a program like Fing to sniff out some very useful information on all the connected devices, both wired and wireless.
Ohhh, Fing is available for the Raspberry Pi. Now, just add some remote access and I've got a remote probe. <grin>

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”