Camp Payments to Budget or 'Other'

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
tribrac

Camp Payments to Budget or 'Other'

Post by tribrac »

I am ward clerk in a new ward. This year I have processed the fundraising monies and member contributions for summer camps through the Authorized Member Activities Other funds just as I had done in a previous ward as a Ward Clerk.

However, now the auxilary leaders are quite upset because the fund raising monies and member contributions for camp payments do not show up on the detailed budget reports. They want all of the 'Other Funds' catergorized as contributions to the Budget. This is what they are accostumed to seeing, but it seems wrong to me.

Is this a matter of preference or is there a policy invovled? What should I do?
gregwanderson

Re: Camp Payments to Budget or 'Other'

Post by gregwanderson »

The idea behind the "Other" accounts is that you're collecting money for a specific purpose and then you spend it for that purpose, leaving no surplus nor deficit in the end. I guess if camp money is collected and added to budget and then all camp expenses are paid through the budget then you can easily lose the priority of making sure there is no deficit nor surplus of collected money year after year.

It seems to me that the auxiliary leaders shouldn't be upset as long as you're giving them their "other" expense and income report each time you give them a budget report.
Gary_Miller

Re: Camp Payments to Budget or 'Other'

Post by Gary_Miller »

If you read the handbook you will find out that you can't add money to the budget. So the proper way to handle camp participant fees and fund raiser dollars is by putting them into and taking them out of the other account.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”