Downloading full PDF versions?

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
davejgreen

Downloading full PDF versions?

Post by davejgreen »

When viewing an Ensign article (or a section from a manual) I am able to download related media so I can view the PDF version of that article (or section) only. Is there a way to download the PDF version of the entire magazine (or manual, etc.)? If not, is the ability to do so planned for inclusion in future updates? Thanks, Dave.
jasonhyer

Re: Downloading full PDF versions?

Post by jasonhyer »

The PDF content is only available for the talk or article that you are referencing. This is due to the way the content is stored on LDS.org. At this time we don't have plans to do the full download of the book or magazine via PDF. If you want the full PDF you will need to go to LDS.org and download it from there. You will notice that in addition to the full PDF download that each article or lesson is available for download and that is where we pull the content from.
Jason Hyer
dsesplin

Post by dsesplin »

I don't even have the ability to view a PDF file of the article or lesson. how do I get that option?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

dsesplin wrote:I don't even have the ability to view a PDF file of the article or lesson. how do I get that option?
Android mobile devices do not have that capability natively. A PDF viewing app needs to be installed from the app store.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
dsesplin

Post by dsesplin »

jdlessley wrote: Android mobile devices do not have that capability natively. A PDF viewing app needs to be installed from the app store.
I realize that and I have several PDF viewing applications. What I meant is that I see no way in gospel library to link to the PDF version of an article.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

dsesplin wrote:What I meant is that I see no way in gospel library to link to the PDF version of an article.
There is no link in Gospel Library to download the PDF copy. The PDF file of an article is downloaded from LDS.org using a browser.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
dsesplin

Post by dsesplin »

jdlessley wrote:There is no link in Gospel Library to download the PDF copy. The PDF file of an article is downloaded from LDS.org using a browser.
Now I am confused. If it isn't possible from gospel library why is this discussion in the Android Gospel Library forum? I assumed that the 'related media' comment from the OP was referring to an option in Android Gospel Library. I was just wondering how to get to it.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

dsesplin wrote:Now I am confused. If it isn't possible from gospel library why is this discussion in the Android Gospel Library forum? I assumed that the 'related media' comment from the OP was referring to an option in Android Gospel Library. I was just wondering how to get to it.
The OP was asking how to get the full PDF. The team member and developer for the Android Gospel Library, jasonhyer, explained in the next post that the best method to get full PDF containing the media content was to download it from LDS.org. That means using a browser. His exact words were:
jasonhyer wrote:If you want the full PDF you will need to go to LDS.org and download it from there.
JD Lessley
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:
dsesplin wrote:Now I am confused. If it isn't possible from gospel library why is this discussion in the Android Gospel Library forum? I assumed that the 'related media' comment from the OP was referring to an option in Android Gospel Library. I was just wondering how to get to it.
The OP was asking how to get the full PDF.
That's a fine response for the question about how to get the full PDF.

But both the OP and jasonhyer's response stated that it is possible to use Android Gospel Library to download the PDF for just the individual talk or article. Yet you said in this post that it is not possible from GL -- that the only way was on LDS.org.

The followup question from dsesplin is how to download those individual PDFs that the first two posts said could be done from Gospel Library. I have tried to find the PDFs for a couple of GC talks and a couple of Ensign articles, and I am also unable to figure out how to download any PDF through Android Gospel Library. That's the open question, and I'm curious about the answer as well.
dsesplin

Post by dsesplin »

aebrown wrote: The followup question from dsesplin is how to download those individual PDFs that the first two posts said could be done from Gospel Library. I have tried to find the PDFs for a couple of GC talks and a couple of Ensign articles, and I am also unable to figure out how to download any PDF through Android Gospel Library. That's the open question, and I'm curious about the answer as well.
Thank you. You explained it better than I. That is exactly what I was trying to ask.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”