Assistant clerk access to HB1

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Moderator note: this post and subsequent posts were moved from the original topic "Ratifying Melchizedec Priesthood ordinations" as the subject changed.
sbradshaw wrote:Thanks! I don't have access to Handbook 1 since I'm an assistant clerk, but I'll forward this to the clerk. In a Stake Conference setting, would it be sustaining or ratifying? I was under the impression that sustaining was just for callings.
Assistant clerks should have access to Handbook 1, because clerks are supposed to maintain file copies in the clerk's office of both Handbook 1 and Handbook 2.
Last edited by russellhltn on Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Insert note
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Ratifying Melchizedec Priesthood ordinations

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:Assistant clerks should have access to Handbook 1,
I'll refer you to the introduction section of Handbook 1 which spells out who has access. "Clerk" is never mentioned in plural form. Yes, there is a file copy kept in a secure location, but nothing about allowing others to see it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

In my travels around the stake, I always see the handbooks in plain view in the clerks office. Then again, I also see several confidential "calling" forms in plain view as well.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

russellhltn wrote:
drepouille wrote:Assistant clerks should have access to Handbook 1,
I'll refer you to the introduction section of Handbook 1 which spells out who has access. "Clerk" is never mentioned in plural form. Yes, there is a file copy kept in a secure location, but nothing about allowing others to see it.
Russell, I think your splitting straws here. There are many things in handbook 1 in which assistant clerks need to me aware of, such as finance and membership guidelines.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:I think your splitting straws here. There are many things in handbook 1 in which assistant clerks need to me aware of, such as finance and membership guidelines.
I don't disagree, and it's not the end of the world if they get access to it, but there's no verbiage in the Handbook to support that they should have access. If someone is saying "should" as in they need to be aware of what's in there, I'm inclined to agree. But if someone is saying "should" as a rule/procedural issue, I see no official support for that.

Yes, that seems inconsistent, but that's the facts.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

russellhltn wrote:But if someone is saying "should" as a rule/procedural issue, I see no official support for that.
Now I'm going to split some straws. How about the official support that in order for one to magnify their calling they need to be trained and know what the guidelines are. As well as the support that the handbooks are to be followed. As an Assistant Clerk - Finance, I would not be able to fulfill my calling if I did not have the access to Handbook 1.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:Now I'm going to split some straws. How about the official support that in order for one to magnify their calling they need to be trained and know what the guidelines are.
Training is the stake clerk's responsibility. He does have access.

Gary_Miller wrote:As an Assistant Clerk - Finance, I would not be able to fulfill my calling if I did not have the access to Handbook 1.
What are you finding in HB1 that cannot be found elsewhere?

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see the ASCs have access. But it's not in the manual. And I notice you don't seem to be disputing that point or offering an alternate interpretation of what is written.

Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

russellhltn wrote:Training is the stake clerk's responsibility. He does have access.
While I'm sure there are some stake clerks who do conduct new clerk training. Its been my experience the only training the average stake clerks does is on Stake Leadership Training nights which is held maybe twice a year.
russellhltn wrote:What are you finding in HB1 that cannot be found elsewhere?
All the official guidelines that are to be followed for the keeping of membership records and financial records. As well as the Duties of the clerk and assistant clerk.
russellhltn wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see the ASCs have access. But it's not in the manual. And I notice you don't seem to be disputing that point or offering an alternate interpretation of what is written.
While I'm not disputing that the manual only uses the word clerk. Its my opinion that the purpose of the clerk copies being a file copy is so that the handbooks are available for all the clerks and executive secretary when needed.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Assistant clerk access to HB1

Post by russellhltn »

To wrap this up: you guys missed your best ammo for your side. I noticed about a week ago that I, a lowly STS, suddenly had access to HB1 on-line. It took a few days, but I was assured by CHQ that it wasn't a bug - it was by design and approved by both the Priesthood Department and Correlation.

HB1: Introduction hasn't been updated, but I believe it still accurate as far as distribution of physical books. I would assume it's ok for anyone with access to HB1 on-line to see the secured office copy kept by the Ward/Stake Clerk.

So all you assistant clerks, visit clerksupport.lds.org. Enjoy.

Just remember, no quoting in the forums - but references welcome.

Gary_Miller

Re: Assistant clerk access to HB1

Post by Gary_Miller »

russellhltn wrote:So all you assistant clerks, visit clerksupport.lds.org. Enjoy.
Russell

Thanks for the information. This is great.

One thing of interest I noticed is, while I can get access through clerk support the links to the handbooks in Clerk Resources and Leader Resources are still only giving access to HB2.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”