Updating New Bishop in CDOL

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Updating New Bishop in CDOL

Post by lajackson »

From stake MLS we sent in a change on Sunday for a unit with a new bishop. Shortly afterward, the unit page reflected Unpublished Changes, as expected.

Today, the page is Active again, Unpublished Changes is no longer there, and the change is not reflected.

Is this normal? Is there an additional process that makes the change final? Or does the change need to be initiated again? Thanks.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Updating New Bishop in CDOL

Post by jonesrk »

It looks like MLS only sent up the release for the old bishop. Please try again. I will talk to the MLS team to see if they can duplicate the problem.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

JonesRK wrote:It looks like MLS only sent up the release for the old bishop. Please try again. I will talk to the MLS team to see if they can duplicate the problem.
Actually, we sent it twice. First time Sunday evening, with another sending on Monday morning to add the email address. Could that have confused things?

In any event, we will resend all this evening. Thanks.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

lajackson wrote:
JonesRK wrote:It looks like MLS only sent up the release for the old bishop. Please try again. I will talk to the MLS team to see if they can duplicate the problem.
Actually, we sent it twice. First time Sunday evening, with another sending on Monday morning to add the email address. Could that have confused things?

In any event, we will resend all this evening. Thanks.
That explains why I saw it twice, but in both of them it only shows the release.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

JonesRK wrote:
lajackson wrote: Actually, we sent it twice.
That explains why I saw it twice, but in both of them it only shows the release.
We will resend this evening. Thanks for checking on it.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

lajackson wrote:
JonesRK wrote:
lajackson wrote: Actually, we sent it twice.
We will resend this evening. Thanks for checking on it.
Well, I sure wish MLS would remember this information each time I save it. Nevertheless, I have typed it all in a third time and completed the Send/Receive.

Perhaps the third time is the charm. On the other hand, having some familiarity with how reliable computers are at doing the same thing over and over, I sense there may be a new fax number in my future. [grin]

Looking forward once more to seeing those Unpublished Changes. And thanks again, Ryan, for your help.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

lajackson wrote: Perhaps the third time is the charm. On the other hand, having some familiarity with how reliable computers are at doing the same thing over and over, I sense there may be a new fax number in my future. [grin]
You better break out that fax number. The unpublished changes only have the release again. I have passed this on to the MLS team to see why it isn't sending the new bishop's information.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

JonesRK wrote:You better break out that fax number. The unpublished changes only have the release again. I have passed this on to the MLS team to see why it isn't sending the new bishop's information.
Thank you again, Ryan. Now then, where did I notice that fax machine most recently? [grin]
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

lajackson wrote:Now then, where did I notice that fax machine most recently?
They asked me to pdf the Ward Leader and Unit Change Request form and email it to an ldschurch address, which I have done.

I also sent an email to mlssupport describing the problem.

The stake clerk mentioned that the last time we made a change in bishops (about 7 months ago), the stake president finally faxed in the form because "they never got it through MLS". I wonder if the same thing happened back then.

Of course, we have updated and reloaded MLS several times since then. And, as a stake, we don't get very many opportunities to test this particular MLS function. I assume it is working for others.

The only thing I have noticed of interest is that the form that MLS generates does not include all of the information entered into MLS before the form is printed, but I also figure that the computer just sends the information anyway, even though the computer does not print it out on the form. I just wrote the information in on the bottom of the printed form before I scanned and emailed it.

It is a connected world.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

lajackson wrote:They asked me to pdf the Ward Leader and Unit Change Request form and email it
Mission accomplished, thanks to the fine folks at Church Organization Services. Some of the old manual ways still work quite well.

Sorry, MLS. But we still will help troubleshoot the problem if there is something you need us to do.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”