member with two record numbers

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
sasgrw

member with two record numbers

Post by sasgrw »

I have a member with two records in MLS and they both have different record numbers. I already confirmed it's the same person so I want to delete one of the records. Is there a way to tell which record number is the "real" one, or does it matter?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: member with two record numbers

Post by russellhltn »

Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

There are temporary membership record numbers, linking record numbers and membership record numbers.

If the number is in the format of xxxxxx-xxxx it is a temporary record number. The first series of numbers before the dash would include the unit number. Temporary record numbers would be created for out of unit records, nonmember records, and temporary records. These records can be deleted by going to Membership Records > View and Update > Other Record Changes and selecting either Remove Out of Unit Member, Remove Nonmember, or Remove Temporary Records.

If the record is not a temporary record but a linked record, which is a regular record number created at Church headquarters but without ordinance information, or a duplicate membership record then submit a special request through MLS to have the records merged. Or if you know the records are duplicates and you also know which record should be retained then follow the procedure in Canceling a duplicate membership record.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

Thanks, Russell. I was really asking how to tell which record is the real one, not how to delete it.

Thanks, JD, for the explanation of what the membership numbers look like.

It doesn't look like my case fits into any of the situations described in http://tech.lds.org/wiki/Duplicate_membership_records, http://tech.lds.org/wiki/Temporary_membership_record, or http://tech.lds.org/wiki/Linked_record.

One record has a number like (not real record numbers) 000-1234-5678 and the other is like 012-0345-6789.

Neither of them have a number that contains the unit number of the current ward or the previous ward. They both contain ordinance info (baptism, priesthood ordination, sealing to parents) from the 1970's.

I can certainly delete one of the records but didn't want to delete the "wrong" one.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

IIRC, the "000-xxxx-xxxx" is likely one created in the US area while the "012-xxxx-xxxx" was likely in some other area. it may be in the process of moving between areas, a duplicate was created.

Worst case: Send a "special request" via MLS with the other membership number. Let CHQ decide.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”