Come Follow Me in Gospel Library

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
donedrake

Come Follow Me in Gospel Library

Post by donedrake »

How do I access the come follow me content on the mobile app (android)?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Moderator Note

Post by jdlessley »

[Moderator note: This thread was split from the "Come Follow Me in Gospel Library" thread in the Gospel Library forum because the topic is operating system specific.]
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
johnshaw

Re: Come Follow Me in Gospel Library

Post by johnshaw »

donedrake wrote:How do I access the come follow me content on the mobile app (android)?
App's latest build is still dated Jan 2, 2013 - The content is coming soon.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

It appears the content was posted this morning.
tsbaity

Post by tsbaity »

Any idea when February content will be available?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

tsbaity wrote:Any idea when February content will be available?
iOS content was available this morning. It appears that it is pushed out on the Saturday before the first Sunday of the month. Keep checking.

It is quite disappointing to have to wait so long, especially when the information is already at LDS.org where I have to go for now to plan. The whole concept of the new youth curriculum precludes last minute planning. Perhaps in the future Mobile Applications will get to the point where they are better able to support the concept of preparing in advance, and we will then be able to use them for this purpose.
jasonhyer

Post by jasonhyer »

Releasing the content this late had nothing to do with a release schedule on the Saturday before the 1st Sunday of the month. Instead the release coming so late had everything to do with the complicated nature of preparing the content for the mobile formats. There is a dedicated content team for mobile content and they received the material about the same time it was first published on LDS.org and they have been working non-stop since December to prepare this content.

Because of the numerous links to various other content including scriptures, talks, manuals and video, preparing the content isn't as easy as just copying the data from LDS.org. All of the links have to be set up and the content tested. As they have now prepared content for January and February (the push contained many fixes for the January content as well) they have learned much about getting this content ready for release and they have hopes of getting March and subsequent months released sooner than they have the last couple of months.

We realize that preparation is key but also realize that it takes a lot of work with limited resources to prepare all of the content available in Gospel Library. If there are delays in getting content, realize that there are people working as hard as they can to make it available. And if there are delays, realize that your preparation may require you to be flexible, just as the Come, Follow Me lessons require you to be flexible. We hope not, but in some cases you might just have to prepare the old fashioned way and go to LDS.org where all of the content is available. It can be accessed via mobile devices as well, it just isn't packaged as neatly for mobile devices.

I for one am grateful for all the hard work that goes on behind the scenes to make mobile devices so useful for studying and teaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Jason Hyer
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

lajackson wrote:
tsbaity wrote:Any idea when February content will be available?
iOS content was available this morning. It appears that it is pushed out on the Saturday before the first Sunday of the month. Keep checking.

It is quite disappointing to have to wait so long, especially when the information is already at LDS.org where I have to go for now to plan. The whole concept of the new youth curriculum precludes last minute planning. Perhaps in the future Mobile Applications will get to the point where they are better able to support the concept of preparing in advance, and we will then be able to use them for this purpose.
I'm confused with how receiving new content works. Does all new content automatically download to the app, or does a user have to manually download it?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sbradshaw wrote:I'm confused with how receiving new content works. Does all new content automatically download to the app, or does a user have to manually download it?
Since this topic started, I have switched to Android. I have noticed that I receive regular updates for items I have already downloaded, but I do not receive new items automatically.

So every now and then, I look in each area where it says something similar to "16/16 items downloaded." If it says "16/18 items downloaded," then I know there are two new items. I go and get them manually.

I read scriptures daily from Gospel Library, so I am able to quickly scan for new items, especially around the time each quarter when new Come Follow Me items become available.
jasonhyer

Post by jasonhyer »

Catalog updates are loaded to the app when they are available but any new content that becomes available in the catalog update needs to be downloaded manually. A future version of the app will allow subscriptions so that new content is downloaded automatically but until then you need to look for new content and download it manually.
Jason Hyer

Return to “Android Gospel Library”