setting up new FHC printers to scan

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
mpolder

setting up new FHC printers to scan

Post by mpolder »

Hi all,

Our FHC has the new Lexmark MX511dhe scanner which I set up successfully to print. Someone brought in an old scanner to use in the center which I proudly denied saying we had a fancy new all-in-one. I then thought I ought to make sure it actually does scan.

Needless to say it did not. I've spent a half hour trying to set it up. On the scanner home page (the IP address for the scanner) I did set up a profile (see second attachment) and I shared the folder I created using Windows 7 sharing options (see firstattachment).

I can't see the shared folder from other Windows 7 machines on the network (it asks for a password) and the scanner can't connect to it either (though the LCD screen does now show the Scan to Network option).

Has anyone done this successfully?
Attachments
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (40.05 KiB) Viewed 7245 times
Capture.PNG
(129.79 KiB) Downloaded 1045 times
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: setting up new FHC printers to scan

Post by russellhltn »

mpolder wrote:I can't see the shared folder from other Windows 7 machines on the network (it asks for a password)
You need to get the authentication worked out. Probably set up what users are allowed to access it and then set that up in the MFP.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BroderickC

Post by BroderickC »

You definitely have an authentication problem. I recommend scanning directly to a USB Flash Drive, it will be a lot easier. To do that, simply plug the USB drive in the available port on the MFP and then follow the prompts. If you need further assistance, please call FamilySearch at 866-406-1830.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I would recommend setting up Scan-to-Email... BroderickC - any thoughts about how we could do that? Seminaries and Institutes have it, FMG's have it, why not wards and stakes?
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JohnShaw wrote:I would recommend setting up Scan-to-Email... BroderickC - any thoughts about how we could do that? Seminaries and Institutes have it, FMG's have it, why not wards and stakes?
The question is what server would be used as the outgoing mail server?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BroderickC

Post by BroderickC »

Regarding the Scan-to-Email option:

Stay tuned on this, it is something we're actively pursuing and should have a solution for in the very near future.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

russellhltn wrote:
JohnShaw wrote:I would recommend setting up Scan-to-Email... BroderickC - any thoughts about how we could do that? Seminaries and Institutes have it, FMG's have it, why not wards and stakes?
The question is what server would be used as the outgoing mail server?
There is both an authenticated Internet SMTP server and an Internal unauthenticated SMTP server that can be setup for S&I or FMG.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JohnShaw wrote:There is both an authenticated Internet SMTP server and an Internal unauthenticated SMTP server that can be setup for S&I or FMG.
I'm not aware of anything the church as provided for this kind of use. Do you have a reference?

steph.younger

Post by steph.younger »

It looks like this post has been inactive for a little while, but I thought I might chime in to say that we were able to get our MX511 set up to scan last week. Like the OP, we had issues sharing a single folder in our FHC, so went instead with setting up a folder on each computer and using profiles for scanning. The profiles for the win7 machines used the computer name without a hitch, but the winXP machines required setting a static IP. Now we have scan profiles numbered FHC-01 through FHC-10, and patrons simply select which computer they are working at and the scan goes to a folder on their desktop. I have to clean them out on a weekly basis, but we're working on automating that :)
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

This is related, but the moderator may decide to use this post to start a new thread.

Last night, I wanted to configure our Lexmark MX511dhe to "Scan to FamilySearch". I searched everywhere for the procedures to install a FamilySearch icon onto the printer's control panel screen. However, I could only find procedures to use that icon after it has been installed.

I tried downloading the 332 MB zip file from Lexmark to upgrade the printer's firmware to the latest version from December 2013. However, all that did was to add a "Scan to PC" icon.

I finally resorted to chatting with a CSM via the FamilySearch Chat. He opened a case for me, and told me that the printer had not yet been registered in their database. What? I know I sent an e-mail to Sandra Friedman at Lexmark and to Family History Center Support when I installed the printer in May 2013. Why didn't that register the printer? The printer is low on toner, so I had to ask FHC Support to force a toner order for me.

Finally, Jerry at FHC Support accessed our printer remotely, and installed the Scan to FamilySearch icon on the printer. It works, but I found it very frustrating to enter my FamilySearch username and password on that tiny control panel screen. Even worse, the password times out after 15-30 seconds, and you have to enter it again.

After all this work, I have recommended to my wife, the FHC director, to configure the MX511dhe as a scanner on each Windows 7 PC in the FHC, and just scan documents and photos directly to the PC, and then upload them to FamilySearch from the PC. Using this method, you can easily use the ADF to scan multiple documents to the PC, and take your sweet time uploading them without having to worry about your connection timing out.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Family History Centers”