Highlighting Issues

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
bjbganggang

Highlighting Issues

Post by bjbganggang »

I have had the android version of gospel library on my nook hd for about two weeks. I have problems with the highlighting every time I use it, and in every book. Genesis, Book of Mormon, gospel doctrine D&C manual, and Lorenzo Snow manual.

Frequently I drag the highlighting handles where I want them to go, and they either only stay there for a couple of seconds and then revert to wherever the app decides to put them, or they never stay there to begin with and just immediately go back to where the app wants to put them.

Another problem I frequently find is that certain parts of the manuals are just not allowing me to highlight them at all. I get the handles, drag them to where I want them to go, lift my finger, and the highlight immediately disappears. Try again, same thing. Close the app, reopen, same thing.

Also, it is difficult to get the handles to come up initially. I long press. Nothing. Long press again. Nothing. Long press again... Eventually the handles come up, but it takes many tries. I don't have this problem with other apps.

I have thirty years worth of highlighting and notes that I would like to transcribe to the digital version. However, I am very frustrated because it can take me a half hour of struggle just to transcribe one chapter with about four references highlighted. I am saying this not to complain, as I realize programmers are generously volunteering their time to make this app available, but by way of communicating the magnitude of the problems I am encountering. By the way, I tried using lds.org on my pc to do the highlighting, as well as the actual nook version of the gospel library, and found them to be even worse.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Moderator note

Post by jdlessley »

[Moderator note: This thread was split from the Common issues and troubleshooting for Gospel Library for Android thread because the topics are different. Please follow the Code of Conduct which states, "Do not start a new topic in an existing thread; instead start a new thread."]
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lmcguire

Re: Highlighting Issues

Post by lmcguire »

Sorry for the delayed reply (I don't check in here that often). Have you tried the "alternate" highlighting option?

I was going to walk you through turning it on (it was a checkbox, as I recall, labelled something like "Use alternate highlighting method"), but now I cannot find it on my device. I wonder if either the latest update changed how highlighting is done and made the option obsolete, or if it only shows on certain devices / versions of Android. Anywho, you might try looking for it in Settings and Reading Options, and if you find it, toggle it.

FWIW,

Liz
jasonhyer

Re: Highlighting Issues

Post by jasonhyer »

Version 2.5.0.23 (version for Kindle and Nook) and 2.5.0.24 for all other Android devices no longer has an option for Alternate Highlight Mode. We were able to fix the problem that caused us to have to include that option in the 2.5 version.

I would recommend that you try to remove and reinstall the app to see if that will fix the issue. If that doesn't work you may need to do a clean install where you uninstall the app, remove the "gospel-library" folder from your SD card or internal memory, restart your device and then install the app again. Please make sure your annotations are synced before you do this or you will lose some or all of your annotations by deleting the gospel-library folder (the app database).

That is the extent of the troubleshooting that we can do for this issue on the 2.5 version and it usually works.
Jason Hyer

Return to “Android Gospel Library”