OSX 10.8.4, Calendar syncing just plain doesn't work

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
rjtolman

OSX 10.8.4, Calendar syncing just plain doesn't work

Post by rjtolman »

Trying to get this to sync is just plain does not work. If you subscribe to the calendar either using a subscription on Icloud or on your Mac it takes hours to sync if it syncs at all. Me and several members I know have been unable to get this work. We have tried creating new urls and setting them up in Calendar on our Macs. Never synced; just showed the -1 error. Set syncing for once an hour. Still nothing. Setup on my iOS devices 4S, Ipad2 as Other accounts, let them sync over night, Some joy. It brought synced all the calendars for which I subscribed. When I changed those subscriptions on LDS.org. It never made the corrections on either IOS device. There is a mess some where. Question is Where. System Imac 2.93hz I7, 16 gig ram, OSX 10.8.4, tried different user account users, Internet: Comcast 50 meg down. IOS devices all updated to latest IOS.

Looking for all suggestions.

If I have not provided enough information please let me know.

thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: OSX 10.8.4, Calendar syncing just plain doesn't work

Post by russellhltn »

Try pasting the URL into a browser. You should end up with a iCal file unless something else has used your URL in the past 9 minutes.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mprusse

Post by mprusse »

I'm running 10.8.4 and syncing works fine using BusyCal. I'm going to do a few more tests running iCal again and see if I can't get it to work.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Syncing on OS X 10.8.4 works fine for me – something that @russellhltn alluded to is the 9-minute minimum wait time between syncs. That means that the calendar's URL can only be accessed once every 9 minutes, so if you have multiple devices, they may all be trying to access it one right after the other and causing problems. Try turning off all of your syncing devices except your Mac, then wait 10 minutes and refresh the calendar (View > Refresh Calendars).
rjtolman

Post by rjtolman »

Thanks for all who responded. Have tried every thing suggested. No joy.

I have learned and would like to verify this if possible. Even if I am subscribed and syncing is working correctly: The calendar will not sync automatically; you must refresh the calendar manually for any changes to appear. Example I subscribe to a calendar for a local college football team. When anything is changed; new time, new day, etc. Those changes sync back to my Mac and on to my IOS devices because they are located on Icloud.

If I understand correctly that is not true with these calendars. You must refresh manually
for any changes to show up.

Correct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rjtolman wrote:I have learned and would like to verify this if possible. Even if I am subscribed and syncing is working correctly: The calendar will not sync automatically; you must refresh the calendar manually for any changes to appear.
Sync is completely dependent on the receiving device to request a calendar. You tell the calendar the URL to get an update. You're not telling the church where to push updates.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rjtolman

Post by rjtolman »

Thanks for the info

Is there a way to have the church push new updates.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rjtolman wrote:Is there a way to have the church push new updates.
That doesn't fit with the way the whole sync process is designed. The Church servers could only push updates if they could be configured to know where to push those updates for each user and could be configured to have access; many (if not all) calendar applications aren't even designed to allow other servers to push information to them. That would be a security and implementation nightmare.

It works much better for each application to request a sync from the URL that you supply. That's the way the iCal standard is designed. That does mean that you are at the mercy of each application for its timing as to when it requests updates, but that's still much more practical than a push approach.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm pretty sure Apple products have a way of requesting the information on a regular basis. That would solve your problem.

The important thing is to not set it to update too often or you run into a different problem.

robert.reinhardt

Post by robert.reinhardt »

Greetings,

I work for Apple and I'm having some issues as well.

I have a brand new MacBook Pro (10.8) and MacBook Air (10.7).

The calendar works fine on the MBA but on the MBP it does not. The link clearly specifies iCal which was a discontinued functioning name for the new Calendar when Mountain Lion (10.8) was released.

After upgrading the MBA to 10.8 the calendar no longer works. (while writing this post)

I feel the reason for this is that the link is out-dated and the new calendar supports .ics.

I haven't been able to test with Mavericks - But we'll wait and see. In the mean time would it be possible to release a .ics filelink that we can use to sync our calendars with?

Return to “Calendar”