About Skill Levels

Having a problem with the Forum? Or feedback about the forum? This is the place.
jbw26

About Skill Levels

Post by jbw26 »

Hello, I been wondering about the different skill levels.

What would count you as a Novice? Intermediate? Expert?

Thank you for your time.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: About Skill Levels

Post by aebrown »

jbw26 wrote:Hello, I been wondering about the different skill levels.

What would count you as a Novice? Intermediate? Expert?
You posted this in "General Discussions," so there is no context for your question. What product or technology or website are you talking about?
jbw26

Post by jbw26 »

Sorry for the lack of clarity,

To clarify, I mean the skills that you specify you have from the list of 406 skills stated in the "Skills" section (where you see "Groups", "Projects", etc).
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jbw26 wrote:Sorry for the lack of clarity,

To clarify, I mean the skills that you specify you have from the list of 406 skills stated in the "Skills" section (where you see "Groups", "Projects", etc).
I don't know of any definitive guidance. I think you just have to decide what you feel your skill level is and how comfortable and effective you think you are in that skill.

However, if you want something more, I personally would say:

Novice: Some exposure (via a class or self-study) but minimal actual use of the skill.
Intermediate: In most cases at least 2 years experience with the skill.
Expert: Usually at least 5 year experience with the skill.

However, it can also depend on how quickly you generally pick up new skills and how often you actual use the skill. Someone who has used a skill for only a year but has used it extensively during that year may be an expert (especially if they are already familiar with a related language or technology). On the other hand, someone who has used a skill just off and on for 5 years may still be Intermediate (or possibly even Novice).

Note that I am not a church employee and this is in no way official. It's based only on personal observation (from 25 years as a software developer) on how long it takes an average programmer to develop a skill. But I've seen many exceptions both positive and negative. If it's useful, I'm glad. If not, ignore it.
jbw26

Post by jbw26 »

Thank you for your response. I just needed an opinion on this because I didn't know what would classify as each of the levels. This answer seems to help quantify skill levels greatly.

Return to “Help with this forum”