child not showing up on primary rolls

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
kenyon12

child not showing up on primary rolls

Post by kenyon12 »

We have a new move-in a single sister baptized 2010 she has a 7 y.o. daughter and 11 y.o son baptized 2011. daughter shows up on household MR and iOS, but not on membership information or primary rolls, son does. SLC says that is because the daughter does not have membership no. only an administrative no. and will not get a member no./be a member until she gets baptized. The sister feels this is discrimination since the other 7 y.o. children show up on the records/rolls. Any advise?
eblood66

Re: child not showing up on primary rolls

Post by eblood66 »

kenyon12 wrote:We have a new move-in a single sister baptized 2010 she has a 7 y.o. daughter and 11 y.o son baptized 2011. daughter shows up on household MR and iOS, but not on membership information or primary rolls, son does. SLC says that is because the daughter does not have membership no. only an administrative no. and will not get a member no./be a member until she gets baptized. The sister feels this is discrimination since the other 7 y.o. children show up on the records/rolls. Any advise?
If the child is under 8 you should be able to simply create a new 'child of record' membership record for her and then she should show up on all rolls and directories.

First you should have the mother fill out and sign a Child Blessing Record form but tell her to ignore the Blessing Information section. This serves as formal permission to create a membership record. Then use the Membership > Ordinances > New Child of Record menu option to create the new record. As long as you use the same (presumably correct) full name and birth date (and the same parental information) the new membership record should replace any administrative record that currently exists.

I'm not sure why support told you the child couldn't get a real membership record until they were baptized. That would be true if they were over 8 years old but a 'child of record' can certainly be created for a 7 year old.
kenyon12

Post by kenyon12 »

Thanks, I figured it would probably be something simple, I had not thought of trying that since the daughter's name does appear on the MR/IOS. I will try this as soon as I get back to the chapel computer.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

kenyon12 wrote:Thanks, I figured it would probably be something simple, I had not thought of trying that since the daughter's name does appear on the MR/IOS. I will try this as soon as I get back to the chapel computer.
Note that in most cases like this I would recommend that you first try to request her membership record to make sure that one doesn't already exist (but just hasn't been moved to your ward). But since you've already contact LUS and they said she only has an administrative record it doesn't look like you need to try that step first.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kenyon12 wrote:I had not thought of trying that since the daughter's name does appear on the MR/IOS.
I assume you're saying that the daughter appears on the mother's MR. That's fine, but that no way implies that you have the daughter's record in your ward. Those are two distantly different things.

If you don't see the daughter's name when you go to the drop-down list of individual records, you don't have it and it will never appear on the rolls.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”