Senior Missionary Couples - Ward Missionary Accounts

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
geowizrd4zion

Post by geowizrd4zion »

there are now two additional letters available on this subject in the official communication library dated 10dec2011 that clarify some, though not all, of the issues discussed above. note that this means that stake presidents/bishops will receive their hard copies via snail mail sometime early next year. :)

https://lds.org/letters/document/pdf?it ... &clang=eng

allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

geowizrd wrote:there are now two additional letters available on this subject in the official communication library dated 10dec2011 that clarify some, though not all, of the issues discussed above. note that this means that stake presidents/bishops will receive their hard copies via snail mail sometime early next year. :)

Given that a great many of us can't access the OCL, would you mind summarizing?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

For a good summary, read the first post in the thread. :)

In addition, it states that Bishops should proactively reach out to couples serving from their units to start this process moving forward and to reach out to those newly called.
ralitaco

Post by ralitaco »

I see this thread has been inactive for a few months, but I am confused by this very issue...today.
My ward has a senior couple that left a 3 months ago and MLS has deducted several hundred dollars each month from "their" missionary account.
is this correct. I mean from what I read above that was not supposed to happen.
I have emailed but have not yet received a response.
has anyone else seen this?
Thanks
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

ralitaco,

If the missionary department is 'charging' your Senior Couple's missionary account that means that the mission they are serving in and from are 'qualifying' areas where this new program was implemented starting in January. The Senior Couple coordinated with their mission to provide the amount of money as a qualified expense to pay directly to their home ward Missionary account. What HASN'T happened, is the Ward clerk and the couple made arrangements for the money they should be contributing each month to be paid to the ward rather than???? the mission??? It may be that the couple was told the clerk would contact them, either way, I would call them, and figure out how to start receiving their donations to balance their account, just like you would for a young missionary's $400 per month expense.
bconrad

Re: Senior Missionary Couples - Ward Missionary Accounts

Post by bconrad »

We are a senior couple who contributed our estimated total housing before leaving, then found out it will not be enough. Others are/will be helping. How can we get periodic reports letting us know expenses and incoming funds? Our financial clerks doesn't know how to produce such a report...
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

bconrad wrote:We are a senior couple who contributed our estimated total housing before leaving, then found out it will not be enough. Others are/will be helping. How can we get periodic reports letting us know expenses and incoming funds? Our financial clerks doesn't know how to produce such a report...
The report will need to be ran from your home ward. Your home ward clerks can give you a detail report on whats happening in your account, although I would recommend a summary report as the detail report will show who made the donation. They just need to go to the finance section of MLS and run an expense report.
ronbrock

Post by ronbrock »

Keeping it simple. I understand that up to 1400 per month is tax deductible for housing and utilities. Also travel that is not reimbursed. Right ?
Any other expenses detectable?
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

ronbrock wrote:Keeping it simple. I understand that up to 1400 per month is tax deductible for housing and utilities. Also travel that is not reimbursed. Right ?
Any other expenses detectable?
I would contact you tax preparer for tax deductions information.

I know anything paid to the missionary fund would be tax deductible. Travel would be done using the mileage deduction for charitable organizations. There could be other deductions that you tax preparer may be able to help you with.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”