How can I turn a stake calendar into a ward calendar?

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
jtanner

How can I turn a stake calendar into a ward calendar?

Post by jtanner »

Hi, I've looked though some of the posts but am unable to find a solution to my problem. There is currently a stake calendar called "Youth". Under "Who can see this calendar", it is set to "Entire Unit" and under "This calendar is for:", the stake radio button is selected and the ward radio button is gray'd out. I need to move it from a stake calendar to a ward calendar but again, the option to do so is gray'd out. I'm in the stake high council and have been assigned to admin the calendars for the stake but I don't know if I have the correct permission level/access. Can someone assist me with this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-John
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: How can I turn a stake calendar into a ward calendar?

Post by russellhltn »

jtanner wrote:I'm in the stake high council and have been assigned to admin the calendars for the stake but I don't know if I have the correct permission level/access.
I'm not sure what you mean by "admin the calendars for the stake". If you're talking about the stake calendars, that's fine, but if you're talking about all calendars - it's not possible to admin a calendar for a ward you don't belong to.

To change this will require someone who is a Ward admin for the ward in question. (And I think they may have to be a Stake admin as well.) Depending on how many activities there are, it may be easier to delete it and have it re-created properly. I'd strongly consider this if this calendar was just created, as someone may have created it at the wrong level.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jtanner

Post by jtanner »

Right, I mean admin the stake calendars, not the individual ward calendars. The calendar that I need to change from a stake calendar to a ward calendar has been around for a while and there are lots of activities on it. If I can just figure out why my option to change it is gray'd out, that would be the preferred method.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jtanner wrote:If I can just figure out why my option to change it is gray'd out, that would be the preferred method.
I think that's the same form for creating the calendar. At that point it can go either way.

But once created, you'd have to have appropriate rights in both ward and sake to "light it up" again. (And I don't think you can control what ward it goes to - it's "your ward".)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jtanner

Post by jtanner »

I've uploaded what I'm describing... There has to be a way to change it. If deleting it and re-creating it is the only way to fix this, why tease me by showing me a gray'd out option?
Attachments
My problem
My problem
Hmmm.jpg (74.94 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It is an option - you just don't have the necessary rights.

Are you a member of that ward? If so, just have a member of the bishopric temporarily add you to the list of administrators of the ward calendar. Then you can move it.

Just as a note: Sometimes people create a stake calendar for a ward because the programs for two wards are shared. It's the only way to have a calendar visible to more then one unit.

jtanner

Post by jtanner »

No worky. I am a member of that ward and I had the Bishop add me as an administrator but the option to change it to a ward calendar is still gray'd out. I logged out and back in a couple times and it's still not an option. The problem with recreating the calendar from scratch is that every activity scheduled until the end of the year has already been added. Huge pain. Not sure what to try next.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jtanner wrote:I had the Bishop add me as an administrator but the option to change it to a ward calendar is still gray'd out.
Did he assign you a calling (which can take a day or two), or did he add you in the calendar system directly?

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I am not certain this is how this situation is handled and I cannot verify it but this is how I think it works --

A calendar editor from the ward that created the calendar should be able to change the calendar from a stake to a ward calendar. Ward administrators cannot edit a stake calendar by virtue of being a ward administrator. And stake administrators cannot change a stake calendar to a ward calendar, as you are experiencing, unless they are explicitly assigned as an editor.

I am guessing that this is one of those situations where a stake administrator would have to be given explicit edit rights and be a member of the ward to change the calendar from a stake calendar to a ward calendar.

Since you are a member of the ward, try adding yourself by-name as an editor to the calendar and then try editing the calendar to change it from a stake to ward calendar. If that does not work then hopefully there is still a calendar editor for the calendar that is from the ward in which the calendar was created. Ask that person to try editing the calendar.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:Since you are a member of the ward, try adding yourself by-name as an editor to the calendar and then try editing the calendar to change it from a stake to ward calendar.
I gave it a try on our calendars. Even though I'm added by name, I can't change the calendar to a ward one.

At this point I think it's one of three things:
- Something is not being accurately represented (he doesn't have ward admin rights - yet)
- Being a stake admin is somehow interfering.
- The developers removed the ability to change it because it was causing too many problems.

He might have to export the calendar and have the ward re-import it into a new calendar. While that will preserve the events, it will still require touching each event to re-connect it to the room being used to schedule the facility.

Return to “Calendar”