Ubuntu 13.04 Installation Problems

Issues related to FamilySearch Indexing
c2porter

Ubuntu 13.04 Installation Problems

Post by c2porter »

I'm guessing that I'm not the only one with this problem, but I can't find any solutions or answers for my problem. Also, I'm pretty new to Linux and Ubuntu.

When I go to the indexing site and click on the download button, I'm directed to the URL:

https://indexing.familysearch.org/downl ... _3_18_3.sh

My screen shows a bunch of code. Nothing downloads or installs. In earlier versions of Ubuntu, I remember that I downloaded a file. Can anyone either help me fix the problem, or explain what's happening?
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Here's a screen shot of what I see.
(113.74 KiB) Downloaded 481 times
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 Installation Problems

Post by aebrown »

A .sh file is simply a text file with commands in it. That's what you are seeing in your browser. So in one sense, the file did indeed download. But you want it to be saved as a file on your computer. One way would be to use your browser's Save As feature when you're looking at that file in your browser.

Another option is to right click on the link in your original post and choose Save Link As... or Save Contents As... or whatever your browser may call that option. That should initiate a more normal download.

Then you'll have to make sure the permissions are set correctly on your downloaded .sh file so that you can execute it.
marianomarini

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 Installation Problems

Post by marianomarini »

aebrown wrote:Then you'll have to make sure the permissions are set correctly on your downloaded .sh file so that you can execute it.
You can use graphical way, through "nautilus" or with a command line: chmod +x filename; where filename is the name of downloded .sh file.

Return to “FamilySearch Indexing”