2_tim 3/16

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
eldercurtis-p40

2_tim 3/16

Post by eldercurtis-p40 »

There have been a few gospel learning systems made in past few years, i.e. GospeLink2001, LDSLibray 2006. Those programs as good as they are don't seem to have the charisma that www.lds.org has. I’ve paid for the programs but find myself referencing the church website for information instead of opening the program. I wonder if lds.org is eventually going to shift toward this concept. A robust web-based gospel learning system built on it's smooth appeal. I highly anticipate the announcement and implementation of the redesigned gospel library! I guess my question is two fold: 1) How far can the church go with this concept, taking in all other factors that go into the architecture e.g. "books, biographies, church histories, and hundreds of titles not available at LDS.org". 2) What is the long-term goal of the Gospel Library?
daztrue

Post by daztrue »

Although the idea is good in principle, I don't see the Church putting so much material on the 'grandfather' of our sites, out of concern of it being quoted as doctrine, misunderstood by some, and misused by others. For example, to those who could easily be misled and those out to persecute, literature such as apocryphal writings and pioneer media and journals etc. could be interpreted to be LDS doctrines.

This is probably why the Church appears to keep a distance between its ministerial and business affairs - even though, at the end of the day, GospeLink (which, if you didn't know, has replaced GospeLink 2001) is a subsidary of DeseretBook, which in turn, is owned by the Church.
eldercurtis-p40

Question

What about www.ldsces.org? It has all of the seminary and institute manuals. What is your opinion (or have you heard) on why those are not included in the library? Or will they on the new one?

:confused:
eldercurtis-p40

[quote="daztrue"]Although the idea is good in principle, I don't see the Church putting so much material on the 'grandfather' of our sites, out of concern of it being quoted as doctrine, misunderstood by some, and misused by others. For example, to those who could easily be misled and those out to persecute, literature such as apocryphal writings and pioneer media and journals etc. could be interpreted to be LDS doctrines.[quote]

Good point. I never thought of it that way. Perhaps I never took time to think that one through being blinded by my selfishness. ;)

What about www.ldsces.org? It has all of the seminary and institute manuals. What is your opinion (or have you heard) on why those are not included in the library? Or will they on the new one?

:confused:
eldercurtis-p40

daztrue wrote:Although the idea is good in principle, I don't see the Church putting so much material on the 'grandfather' of our sites, out of concern of it being quoted as doctrine, misunderstood by some, and misused by others. For example, to those who could easily be misled and those out to persecute, literature such as apocryphal writings and pioneer media and journals etc. could be interpreted to be LDS doctrines.

Good point. I never thought of it that way. Perhaps I never took time to think that one all the way through, being blinded by selfish want. ;)

What about www.ldsces.org? It has all of the seminary and institute manuals. What is your opinion (or have you heard) on why those are not included in the library? :confused:
richmanll
Church Employee
Church Employee

Seminary and Institute Manuals in the Gospel Library

Post by richmanll »

eldercurtis wrote:Good point. I never thought of it that way. Perhaps I never took time to think that one all the way through, being blinded by selfish want. ;)

What about www.ldsces.org? It has all of the seminary and institute manuals. What is your opinion (or have you heard) on why those are not included in the library? :confused:

We do plan to add the seminary and institute manuals to the Gospel Library--they should be there by March.
eldercurtis-p40

LdsWebguy

ldsWebguy wrote:We do plan to add the seminary and institute manuals to the Gospel Library--they should be there by March.

LdsWebguy....you are the last person I expected to reply! It is excellent to hear you have added those manuals! Don't hold out on us now, when is your projected date of the announcement on the new library!?

:)

Return to “Main Church Website”