Additional Access Point

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
ktchugg

Additional Access Point

Post by ktchugg »

We have the 881w Cisco FW and another access point in the attic space on the other side of our stake center. Our stake president has a very weak signal in his office that is south central to either wireless device. Is it possible to request a third access point that we could plug into a network port in our stake offices within our stake center to improve the signal for the stake president?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Additional Access Point

Post by russellhltn »

Someone will need to ask the FM group for it. It would probably be better to run a line and mount it to the ceiling or attic.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Interestingly enough, the Stake President is the person that can make it happen, if it can happen. Have him request it through the FMG and it'll taken with much more weight than anyone else requesting it.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
jakebengtson
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jakebengtson »

I believe the correct procedure is to talk to the member of the High Council that is the PFR (Physical Facilities Representative). It is his responsibility to contact the FM that covers your stake. However, it might "carry more weight," as JohnShaw mentioned, if you talk to the Stake President and ask him to direct the PFR to contact the FM. I hope that helps.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In re-installing our Firewall (another story) I noticed the message that indicated that additional APs can be ordered via "eMarket". I'm guessing that's something only the FM Group has access to. I tried going to store.lds.org, but while it showed me some goodies as a STS, APs were not one of them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Anyone out there that might have an answer. If a stake were to purchase a 1041N for expansion when an FMG is unwilling to do so (like mine is) - Would the Church just add that to their support and treat it like 'one-of-their-own'? I used to be the policy and picked up some used older 'G' WAP's and installed them in all our buildings (this is before the FMG was put in charge) - but what of the current policy, we still have some of those WAP's around.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

JohnShaw wrote:Anyone out there that might have an answer. If a stake were to purchase a 1041N for expansion when an FMG is unwilling to do so (like mine is) - Would the Church just add that to their support and treat it like 'one-of-their-own'?
The GSD prefers the 1041N and does not seem to support other models.

The eMarket is the system FM Groups use to purchase all sorts of things. They are the only ones that I know who can access it. It seems there us usually a pretty significant savings through eMarket. We have had FM Group purchase some things for our stake through eMarket at significant savings over what we could get them for directly.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JohnShaw wrote:If a stake were to purchase a 1041N for expansion when an FMG is unwilling to do so (like mine is) - Would the Church just add that to their support and treat it like 'one-of-their-own'?
I'm sure they would - if it was bought though the church.

I'm not sure what would happen if it was bought "outside". I don't know if there's any configuration that has to be programed into them to join the system.

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

If it's any help, the FMG in our stake did not use the 1041N when upgrading the wireless in all of our buildings and opted for a particular home-style Netgear router for all the AP's. They had to use a couple more per building, and deal with the AC power requirements (no POE), but they saved a bundle doing so. The FMG's installer gave the login credentials for these boxes to the STS, in case there was any maintenance required (e.g., when our firewall got moved to new a IP address).

I bring this up just to say that it appears that while the 1041N is certainly the preferred AP, the requirement to use it might not be set in stone, opening up the possibility of less expensive alternatives that maybe your FMG could deal with.
odwill

Post by odwill »

A related question. Before our FM Group got involved in installing Cisco WAPs in our Stake building and ward buildings, we installed our own WAPs. These were placed inline so that the signal coming out of the wall went into the WAP and then the clerk's computers were plugged into one of the output ports on the WAP. This moved the IP address for the computers from the 10.1 address space into the 192.168 address space. No problem so far.

Now we have heard that the Church plans to extend its VPN capabilities so that they can wake up our ward and stake clerk computers, update software, and then remotely turn off the computers. If so, the computers would need to be on the 10.1 address space. The simple solution is to install a switch on the computers that have WAPs so that those computers (and the WAPs) are connected to the 10.1 address space as it comes out of the wall.

Can anyone here verify that the Church plans to use the VPN to access the Ward and Stake clerk's computers for updates at some future point? :confused:

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”