Correct name listing

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
zaneclark

Correct name listing

Post by zaneclark »

Is their a preferred way to list a senior missionary couple: Elder and Sister John and Mary Brown, or Elder John and Sister Mary Brown? I have checked the Deseret News to find an example but they don't seem to list them either way.....As I look at this post, I think I prefer the first....
johnshaw

Re: Correct name listing

Post by johnshaw »

I wish we gave a title to our Sister Missionaries.... in my webcasts I'm always tempted to list the mission president spouse as 'Just the wife' or something like that... The only titles we have are Matron and Assistant to the Matron (which that were counselor to the matron).
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

I think when you are speaking as a couple the correct way would be, Elder and Sister Brown.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Gary_Miller wrote:I think when you are speaking as a couple the correct way would be, Elder and Sister Brown.
This is for a missionary photo board in the stake center so I need their full names.....
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

When referring to general authorities and their wives, the standard usage is (for example) "Elder and Sister M. Russell Ballard"; see President Monson's recent conference talk for several examples of this. That is exactly the same as "Mr. and Mrs. John Q. Public." But in those cases, the wife's name is not mentioned.

If you need to mention both names, I would think it would be clearer to say "Elder John Doe and Sister Jane Doe" -- or if the format allows for two separate lines, simply put

Elder John Doe
Sister Jane Doe

Return to “General Discussions”