[BUG] Elevated user privileges

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
alexjr181

[BUG] Elevated user privileges

Post by alexjr181 »

I'm not sure if this was an issue introduced with MLS 3.6, but after I updated to this version, I created a new user for the newly called Primary Secretary and gave her access to "Organization" only. When logging in through that account, the user is given rights equivalent to an assistant clerk -- pretty much everything minus creating new users is available.

Has anyone else run into this? I'd like to get her set up so she can get going with the information she needs to do her calling, but I don't want to expose MLS wide open.
alexjr181

Re: [BUG] Elevated user privileges

Post by alexjr181 »

I tried adding another user with a different calling and verified that this user was also given Admin privileges.

Has nobody else seen this anomaly? I'd like to resolve this issue so that every calling wont have access to everything in MLS. Is there any workaround?
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

alexjr181 wrote:Is there any workaround?
If you go back and edit the privileges later does that fix the problem?
alexjr181

Post by alexjr181 »

Gary_Miller wrote:
Well the problem is actually that admin privileges are given even though "Organization" is the only thing checked. I've tried two different members with different callings, only checking "Organization" and both times I've logged in with those accounts they can see everything: callings, Home and Visiting Teaching, expenses etc.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

alexjr181 wrote:
Gary_Miller wrote:
Well the problem is actually that admin privileges are given even though "Organization" is the only thing checked. I've tried two different members with different callings, only checking "Organization" and both times I've logged in with those accounts they can see everything: callings, Home and Visiting Teaching, expenses etc.
Ok, however when you go and look at their user rights what is checked then?

It may only be a bug when you are first setting the privileges up. So the fix maybe to just go back in to the user file and reassign the privileges back to organization only.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

alexjr181 wrote:I've tried two different members with different callings, only checking "Organization" and both times I've logged in with those accounts they can see everything: callings, Home and Visiting Teaching, expenses etc.
Other then expenses, that sounds normal to me. Can that user go in and change someone else's password?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I tried this in a test database in 3.5.3 and then upgraded to 3.6. "Organization" does have more rights then one might expect. They can see MRNs and birthdates. But I didn't see where they could see finance, endowment status, temple recommend status, or priesthood.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I noticed yesterday at the church when I went in to enter HT info, that I could see MLS features that have been unavailable since I was Ward Clerk (now HPGL). I don't suspect the current Ward Clerk of changing my permissions as he is not at that level with computer technology, but one of the Bishopric Councilors is.

I was curious as to what happened, but this thread may be an explaination, if the software update granted more priveleges to existing users. I will try to test it this week and report back to this forum if the answer is not found before then.
kodriscoll
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by kodriscoll »

alexjr181 ... what is your unit number?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

We're looking into these reports this afternoon and will hopefully have some answers tomorrow. Kent or I will post here when we've got some more definitive information.

Steve

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”