More Access to MLS Data For Elders Quorum Presidents

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
cheeseman

More Access to MLS Data For Elders Quorum Presidents

Post by cheeseman »

Sure would be helpful is as Elders Quorum President, we were able to have more rights to view MLS data through our LDS.org accounts rather than just the membership directory. I enjoy spending time in the MLS system at the building browsing through my different statistical lists/reports available to help ponder and pray for inspiration when making assignments, planning, reviewing HT reports, callings, etc. It would be great too if someday We as an Elder's Quorum Presidency could input HT results into the MLS from home instead of trying to fight for time on the computer with the various other clerks, etc on Sundays. Does anyone know if the Church is already working on something like this? Thanks.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: More Access to MLS Data For Elders Quorum Presidents

Post by sbradshaw »

This has been discussed and is a very popular feature request – especially viewing and editing Home Teaching. The current limitation is that MLS doesn't send the data about home teaching out with Send/Receive Changes – it's kept locally only. There will need to be an MLS update, and an update to the church's servers, then an update to the LDS.org tools. Presumably it's in the works, but it may take some time...
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

cheeseman wrote:It would be great too if someday We as an Elder's Quorum Presidency could input HT results into the MLS from home instead of trying to fight for time on the computer with the various other clerks, etc on Sundays.
If you go on another day of the week or latter in the evening on Sunday you won't have to fight for time.

In my ward even though much of the clerk work is accomplished during the week, the clerks have priority on Sunday during the meeting block and for a couple of hours after the block. There are just somethings that have to be done by the clerks that can't be done any-other time.

EQ Presidents and HP Group leaders trying to get their HT visits put into the MLS system during the meeting time or right after church is just not a propriety in my book.
mevans

Post by mevans »

One thing to consider as a Priesthood or Relief Society leader: you could ask your bishop to consider calling an assistant clerk who is responsible for helping Priesthood and Relief Society with HT/VT data. I was a ward clerk once and had an assistant clerk who had this specific responsibility. It worked out pretty well...he did the data and produced reports, which left the organization leaders with more time to minister.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

mevans wrote:One thing to consider as a Priesthood or Relief Society leader: you could ask your bishop to consider calling an assistant clerk who is responsible for helping Priesthood and Relief Society with HT/VT data. I was a ward clerk once and had an assistant clerk who had this specific responsibility. It worked out pretty well...he did the data and produced reports, which left the organization leaders with more time to minister.
I thought that was what the EQ and HP secretary was for. At least, that's what I did when I was EQ secretary.
mevans

Post by mevans »

eblood66 wrote:
mevans wrote:One thing to consider as a Priesthood or Relief Society leader: you could ask your bishop to consider calling an assistant clerk who is responsible for helping Priesthood and Relief Society with HT/VT data. I was a ward clerk once and had an assistant clerk who had this specific responsibility. It worked out pretty well...he did the data and produced reports, which left the organization leaders with more time to minister.
I thought that was what the EQ and HP secretary was for. At least, that's what I did when I was EQ secretary.
Secretaries could do that, too. I guess you just need to figure out how things work best in your unit, and organization presidents are probably busy enough that hopefully someone else can be called to deal with data entry. I've been EQ secretary a few times and they never had me work directly on the computer to do HT stuff, but I've known secretaries in other wards who do.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:Secretaries could do that, too. I guess you just need to figure out how things work best in your unit, and organization presidents are probably busy enough that hopefully someone else can be called to deal with data entry. I've been EQ secretary a few times and they never had me work directly on the computer to do HT stuff, but I've known secretaries in other wards who do.
I know of one ward where the RS Secretary had access to MLS, but the RS President didn't.

I agree there's no right or wrong, but a question of what works best given the people involved.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

The days of having a Secretary compile reports and data for people are coming quickly to a close and are so far in the past for many current leaders they truly marvel at the inefficiency of this model.

A President of a quorum or auxiliary doesn't want to ask someone to return and report with a report when they have their smartphone in the hands and just want access to the data. They know it's online for the Bishopric+AdminStaff and wonder why they can't have direct access to the data at the time they need it, not at some future time when a secretary can compile it for them. Not when they go to the church on Wed night only to be in line behind the HPGL, the EQP, or Clerks, Bishops using MLS, not on Sunday when the same problem exists.

This, in my opinion, is what people want. We are pushing a Rescue Effort, it's been Pres. Monson's theme since he took office, it's a huge part of the recent Missionary surge, and the members are being asked to step it up, but the tools are very lacking for them.

There is only so much app developers to go around and we've chosen to prioritize other development efforts over the inefficiencies of members serving in these callings. A clear message should be sent to one and all - a plea for time to catch up, send out a general thankyou to the members who realize it could be done better and tell them what the plans are.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”