Feature Request: Visiting Teaching Companionship Report

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
daddy-o-p40

Feature Request: Visiting Teaching Companionship Report

Post by daddy-o-p40 »

This is a request from the Relief Society.

This is a very reasonable and do-able request that has been made many times via MLS messages and over the phone.

All they want is the ability for the Visiting Teaching Companionship Report to be grouped by District. They just want to give each supervisor a list of Teachers they supervise. MLS just doesn't do this yet.

The workaround has them queue off 11 individual reports (for each district.)

Can anyone from MLS development elevate this please?

If someone from development is going to run with this. They'd also like to add the Teachers phone #'s and email addresses too. Kind of like what they have with the Visiting Teaching Contacts report (just with email addreses also.)

Thanks!
"What have I done for someone today?" Thomas Monson
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I don't follow. I thought the default report was Companionships grouped by District.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Mikerowaved wrote:I don't follow. I thought the default report was Companionships grouped by District.

You're correct that the companionships are grouped by district, but they are not printed on separate pages. So District 2 may well start in the middle of the last page that included District 1. If the goal is to hand a district report to each supervisor, this doesn't work too well.

To get what they want right now, they have to select the district, click Print, and click OK. Three clicks per district times 11 districts equals 33 clicks, which is more than the 3 or 4 clicks you would have to do if the requested feature were implemented.
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

I can add this as a "bug" or enhancement request. It should print out per district on one sheet if it is not right now.

The request for the email addresses is probably not going to happen anytime soon. I have pushed this before and it is frequently requested for all groups but there are policy and other issues (not technical) as to why it hasn't happened yet.
daddy-o-p40

Post by daddy-o-p40 »

DJC, Many thanks.

Just being able to have teachers print by district will be good enough for now. The phone numbers should be simple enough to do ... (keeping my fingers crossed.)

FYI - The Home Teaching reports also seem to have this same issue.

I'll just keep printing out a seperate email address report for them.

Per my Relief Society ....If you pull this off they'll bake en mass and furnish all the accompanying lace doiley you require.

Thanks again
"What have I done for someone today?" Thomas Monson
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

DJC wrote:I can add this as a "bug" or enhancement request. It should print out per district on one sheet if it is not right now.

The request for the email addresses is probably not going to happen anytime soon. I have pushed this before and it is frequently requested for all groups but there are policy and other issues (not technical) as to why it hasn't happened yet.
I want to add some color to our process at the Church. Asking for developers to fix something will not be get you much traction. The reason is that we are trained at the Church that the developers take their orders from the "customer" who is typically the department or organization that they are working for. In this case it is the Membership department which DJC represents. So his adding this to the bug or enhancement list will pull more weight than the developer doing so. That is why DJC and his department are on these forums so they can see what the community is saying.

if we were to let the developers do work without the "customer" being involved in the priority and resource scheduling, we would have a problem.

Tom
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Just to clarify, the feature you are requesting is to NOT ONLY group the companionships by district on the report, BUT ALSO have each district start on a new page.

I definitely see the benefits of that for the various VT & HT reports. I can also see the benefit of being able to toggle between having each district start a new page and not (similar to the following feature: Organizations > Reports > Print rolls and Lists > List type to print: Standard > Each class/group starts a new page: Yes/No). I hope it gets implemented.

Similarly it would be nice to be able to toggle forcing a new page for each HT (or VT) assignment printed (Organizations > HT Organization > HT Assignments).
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

I have sheets with the companionships grouped by district. My high priest group has three districts, one for each member of the leadership. MLS DOES print them by district, one page per district, as my group is small. Shows supervisor at top, then each companionship with the families they are responsible for, and stats over the last year with the last two months stats prior to the present month filled in.

This type of report goes back to the MIS days, and the only difference is the number of months shown now and the percentage of months a family was visited out of the last 12.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

The point is that this gets unwieldy in VT when there might be more than a handfull of districts.

What is being requested is (as I understand it):
When navigating to Organizations > HT (VT) Reporting > Enter HT (VT) Visits, instead of having to manually setting Show for District: to each individual district and then printing, changing to the next district, printing, and so on, you could set Show for District: to All and have a way to force each district to start on a new page instead of the current result.

This could also be formatted like the Organizations > Reports > Callings by Organization report groupings.

Perhaps the View by: dropdown list could have the following options:
Household
Companionship
District
Organization

"Organization" would format the printout like the Callings by Organization report, that is, High Priests, district 1, district 2, etc., Elders, district 1, district 2, etc..

"District" would group the companionships by district (in the same hierarchical sequence "Organization" does) but also force each district to start a new page.

"Companionship" and "Household" retain their current functions.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JamesAnderson wrote:I have sheets with the companionships grouped by district. My high priest group has three districts, one for each member of the leadership. MLS DOES print them by district, one page per district, as my group is small. Shows supervisor at top, then each companionship with the families they are responsible for, and stats over the last year with the last two months stats prior to the present month filled in.
I think you are referring to the Home Teaching Companionship Report. I just ran that report, and it was indeed organized by district, but did NOT break the page for each new district. Now you may have been lucky in how the pages were broken, or whoever printed the report may have done it one district at a time. But I'm not seeing any way to group by district and force a page break between districts when you print all districts at one time.

Then to cover the bases, I also ran the Home Teaching Assignments report. It is not grouped by district, but rather is just sorted by home teacher last name. But again, you can print one report for each district, which of course groups by district and separates each district by page. Households Being Taught and Household Report are similar, in that they can be filtered by district, so you can print one report per district to get the grouping, but otherwise there is no district grouping.

As near as I can tell VT and HT are exactly the same in this regard.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”