No Organizations in Branch Directory

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
JimRedd

No Organizations in Branch Directory

Post by JimRedd »

As a senior missionary, when I log in to the directory I can see both my home ward and the ward where we serve here in Thailand.
In the branch here, I can see the households, I can see the leaders, but when I try to view the organizations, there is nothing. There are no list of organizations, and I cannot see which members are in the Laurel class or which brothers are in the Elders Quorum. I can see all this for my home ward in Canada.
Is this a problem with the website not having access to the information in MLS, or is it a problem in MLS?

I notice that I have to move youth from YW class to class when they turn 14 or 16. I thought that MLS would automatically move a YW into the Laurel class when she turns 16. Is this not correct?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: No Organizations in Branch Directory

Post by jdlessley »

JimRedd wrote:I notice that I have to move youth from YW class to class when they turn 14 or 16. I thought that MLS would automatically move a YW into the Laurel class when she turns 16. Is this not correct?
MLS should move youth after their birthday. That, however, does not apply to those with temporary records. If MLS is not automatically making the moves for youth members then there is a problem with MLS.
JimRedd wrote:In the branch here, I can see the households, I can see the leaders, but when I try to view the organizations, there is nothing. There are no list of organizations, and I cannot see which members are in the Laurel class or which brothers are in the Elders Quorum. I can see all this for my home ward in Canada.
Is this a problem with the website not having access to the information in MLS, or is it a problem in MLS?
Some additional troubleshooting may be needed. Have you checked with local resident members to see what they are seeing when they log on to the Directory? I would also ask the ward clerk to see if there is any problems with organizations in MLS. He should also check to see what is displayed in CDOL. We have to rule out any problems with MLS and/or CDOL before looking into other possible causes for the problem.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Since you are in a position that has rights in that branch you should be able to see the organizations within the branch in CDOL. I'm not sure if the problem is between CDOL and directory or an issue in directory with out of unit leaders. As JD Lessley said, having a member of the branch look should help us know where the problem is.
JimRedd

Post by JimRedd »

jdlessley wrote: MLS should move youth after their birthday. That, however, does not apply to those with temporary records. If MLS is not automatically making the moves for youth members then there is a problem with MLS.
These are not temporary records. It has happened with three or four youth since I began helping with member records. According to your last sentence this means there is a problem with MLS.
jdlessley wrote:Some additional troubleshooting may be needed. Have you checked with local resident members to see what they are seeing when they log on to the Directory?
The branch clerk can see all the branch organizations and view the members within each organization. I checked again, and I can still not see them. If he can see them and I cannot, I'm guessing it is because I am in the branch as an out of unit record. Can this be changed in the programming?
jdlessley wrote:I would also ask the ward clerk to see if there is any problems with organizations in MLS.
I work with the branch clerk regularly. Inside MLS we can see the members of every organization.
jdlessley wrote: He should also check to see what is displayed in CDOL. We have to rule out any problems with MLS and/or CDOL before looking into other possible causes for the problem.
I don't think CDOL is relevant because I can only see those with callings in each organization in CDOL. Can local leaders see lists of members within organizations using CDOL? (I just checked this with the branch clerk. Inside CDOL he sees exactly what I see with my log in)

I think Jones RK correctly pinpoints the problem as "an issue in directory with out of unit leaders"

May I suggest that being able to see the lists of elders, Relief society sisters, and youth classes in the directory would be a big help to us as senior missionaries? These directory lists are the only way I know to see lots of member pictures.
Seeing their pictures would make it much easier for us to get to know the members and remember which name goes with which person. It is already hard because everyone here uses nicknames and few people know other people's real names. Even the Relief Society Presidency had trouble remembering people's actual names when we were helping them set up visiting teaching on the MLS computer.We could show these lists to new missionaries when they are transferred to our branch which would be far more valuable than the lists we print from MLS.

Thanks for your replies! I spent a long night with MLS tech support unsuccessfully trying to get an answer to this problem.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

From the MLS help file:
When viewing information for another ward, the amount of information you can view depends on your calling in MLS. If you are a directory administrator, you can see children in a household outside of your ward. If you are not a directory administrator, information about children in other wards is hidden.
So this would apply to a number of organizations, but shouldn't include Relief Society or Elder's Quorum.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”