Include extensive list of Church sites

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
daztrue

Include extensive list of Church sites

Post by daztrue »

Since vastly expanding lds.org and 'relaxing' the rules regarding what links could be included (i.e. links to non-Church sites, especially in Newsroom), as well as allowing country sites to be administered locally and this very site allowing content and links to be added at will, it is so frustrating to have reference to only a minimal amount of Church sites on lds.org.

I have no objections to sites such as BeSmart.com or other Utah-only-relevant sites being included. It is, of course, inevitable, and many of such are of interest Church-wide, such as BYU, for example. I'd like to know why many Church sites (including business sites, which shouldn't be an issue, considering what the Church has had links to in the past) don't have prominent places on lds.org. Just a FEW examples (almost unfathomable to believe are not listed) are as follows: LDS.org finally lists mormontabernaclechoir.org, which is both powered by and has a link to DeseretBook, which I think supports my argument. If anyone can give any insight to this - especially if you know what is planned in this regard - then let me know.
greenwoodkl

LDS Business sites portal?

Post by greenwoodkl »

Just some of the Church's business sites: I'm not sure the best way to approach linking to these sites if at all. I do think it would be nice to have a portal into the business arms of the Church to allow those who are interested in finding careers in those organizations, or are interested in contributing financially to these groups could more easily find information on these entities. I don't think it would be the best to link to all of these business sites "prominently" off the LDS.org site, but perhaps a link to a common portal in "About the Church" or some way to access a pure business portal in which it is separate from the ecclesiastical aspects of the Church but is accessible. Similar to the segregation of mormon.org from lds.org.
daztrue

Portals for extensives site listings

Post by daztrue »

Well put! As far as the business side of things is concerned, that's the type of idea I had in mind. I wouldn't have expected them to be prominently displayed, but as you say, some kind of portal to provide an extensive listing, and with a summary of each site.

However, as I said before, I wasn't solely focusing on business sites, and would like to see more ecclesiastical and educational-type sites included - obviously in appropriate catagories - as well as a convenient portal simply listing them all (still catagorised), perhaps with the option to search/filter by various methods.
WelchTC

Non-official view

Post by WelchTC »

I would recommend that you provide this feedback through the lds.org feedback link so that those in charge of that web site will see your comments. My hope is that this forum becomes more of a place for people to discuss technology advancements, problems and/or solutions for the lds.org web site instead of a content wish list.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Tom
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

I agree that this information should be sent through the Feedback link. However, this forum in the short-term is more satisfying because WE can get feedback from our peers about our ideas and we can tell if our ideas have even been read. The statement on the feedback form saying that all submissions are read, but not all are replied to is nice and true but often unsatisfying. The feedback feature still feels often like a black hole.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

kgthunder wrote:I agree that this information should be sent through the Feedback link. However, this forum in the short-term is more satisfying because WE can get feedback from our peers about our ideas and we can tell if our ideas have even been read. The statement on the feedback form saying that all submissions are read, but not all are replied to is nice and true but often unsatisfying. The feedback feature still feels often like a black hole.
I can totally understand your feelings on the matter. It is nice to talk about issues and to see if others agree with you or maybe your opinions change based upon what others say. We are walking a very fine line where we have been asked that our web site stay focused on technology issues...specifically those facing the Church. There are a few of reasons for this.
  1. People will read information on these forums that they may assume is Church doctrine, policy or official guidance.
  2. Other departments do not have the manpower to man our forums looking for comments and suggestions that may pertain to them.
  3. Topics, when left unchecked, easily drift off into areas that are of a religious, or policy nature. People are well meaning when this happens but it can cause a lot of confusion and problems.
Keeping the discussions focused on technology problems, solutions, ideas will help us keep on track. There are other LDS based community sites that you can carry on these discussions.

Thanks for your support and understanding.

Tom
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

Would it be possible to have a list of suggested community sites for such discussions available on this site with a disclaimer that they are non-official sites and then when moderating such drifting threads, reference the list of links? This way an outlet can be provided for such discussions whereas now for those who are unfamiliar with alternate sites, this is the only viable forum for such discussion.
richmanll
Church Employee
Church Employee

For more information on LDS.org....

Post by richmanll »

kgthunder wrote:Would it be possible to have a list of suggested community sites for such discussions available on this site with a disclaimer that they are non-official sites and then when moderating such drifting threads, reference the list of links? This way an outlet can be provided for such discussions whereas now for those who are unfamiliar with alternate sites, this is the only viable forum for such discussion.

ldsWebguy.com is a place you can read more about the strategy and plans for LDS.org and other Church Web sites.

The feedback link is the best place to submit content suggestions. All the feedback is read, categorized, counted, and forwarded to the product managers over the various Church Web sites. Within the next few months, we will be upgrading our feedback system to make it easier to classify and route the many thousands of feedback messages so that the product managers can receive it more quickly.

Another place to learn about where the Church Web sites are headed is the What's New document currently linked for the feature in the center of the LDS.org home page. In about a week, we'll have this converted to a blog section under the News and Events channel of LDS.org.
richmanll
Church Employee
Church Employee

About the Church

Post by richmanll »

kgthunder wrote:Just some of the Church's business sites:I'm not sure the best way to approach linking to these sites if at all. I do think it would be nice to have a portal into the business arms of the Church to allow those who are interested in finding careers in those organizations, or are interested in contributing financially to these groups could more easily find information on these entities. I don't think it would be the best to link to all of these business sites "prominently" off the LDS.org site, but perhaps a link to a common portal in "About the Church" or some way to access a pure business portal in which it is separate from the ecclesiastical aspects of the Church but is accessible. Similar to the segregation of mormon.org from lds.org.

Good suggestion. We are building out the "About the Church" section, and we'll consider this.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

kgthunder wrote:Would it be possible to have a list of suggested community sites for such discussions available on this site with a disclaimer that they are non-official sites and then when moderating such drifting threads, reference the list of links? This way an outlet can be provided for such discussions whereas now for those who are unfamiliar with alternate sites, this is the only viable forum for such discussion.
Yes we could do that. Please PM me with your link ideas. We will review and make a place where people can find these links.

Good idea.

Tom

Return to “Main Church Website”