Ward Photographer

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
kirtkennedy

Ward Photographer

Post by kirtkennedy »

The Stake Presidency has asked that all wards put a photo of each adult ward member in the Ward Directory.
In order to accomplish this we have called a "Ward Photographer". This individual will take the picture of ward member, with their permission, and we will upload. Not quite sure how to accomplish this task. The photographer does not have administrative privledges so I assume he would transfer the photo's to an administrator and the administrator would upload to the directory?...any suggestions?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Ward Photographer

Post by aebrown »

You basically have two options:
  • Do what you just suggested (have the photographer give the photos to some administrator, who then does the uploads and assignments;
  • Make the photographer a ward website administrator, which will give him or her permissions to do the uploading and assigning (but note that currently there is a problem with the permissions for website administrators as described here, so this isn't really an option right now).
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

I'd like an ongoing report about how this proceeds. In our ward, we've been trying "gentle persuasion" to convince people to put their own pictures in the directory. An invitation frequently appears in printed newsletters, in the online newsletter and the Sunday bulletin. Very few members have uploaded their photos. I don't know if they're just lazy about it or if they don't make the effort because they assume it'll be a technically-complicated task. Maybe they only have casual, candid photos and don't want to take the time to snap a formal portrait (although one of the best ones in our directory happens to be a guy holding a huge salmon he just caught!). Or maybe they've just read a million news stories about being careful not to put any personal stuff online (especially pictures of their children).

So I'm curious to know how much resistance you'll encounter when you tell members that the Stake leadership has more-or-less "demanded" pictures, even if that doesn't include pictures of children. How many members will simply never agree that they look good-enough on a given day to have their picture taken (even if they don't have a specific resistance to the idea of their picture appearing online)?

Oddly enough, today someone revived an old discussion thread with a long-term report about trying to get more photos into their stake's online directory. And it appears to have been a failure.
kirtkennedy

Post by kirtkennedy »

I think there are many reasons why people don't post their photo.
They don't know how, not important, afraid they don't look as good as they would like, etc, etc.
That's why we called a ward photographer. He can take their picture and answer their concerns
mevans

Post by mevans »

I've occasionally reviewed all the units in our stake to see how many people have pictures. In most wards, very few people have pictures. Two units (mine is one of them) have a decent number of pictures. In my unit we've had some occasional organized efforts to take and upload pictures. Most of the pictures were taken at the church building, so those are from our effort to get pictures. I think many pictures were taken by a clerk while people were waiting for tithing settlement.

Getting the people to upload their own pictures can be more difficult. First of all, people need an LDS Account. While I find via conversation that a great many people in my ward have LDS Accounts, I hear from leadership in our stake that they get a lot of pushback from stake members about creating and using LDS Accounts.

After someone has an LDS Account, they have to have a picture they want to upload and go to the effort to do so.

It's probably easier to have a Ward Photographer take pictures and upload them.
amulert

Post by amulert »

I don't know how to call for a ward photographer :confused:
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

amulert wrote:I don't know how to call for a ward photographer :confused:
No such calling in the Handbook. It's something locally made- up. Not wrong, but not necessarily something supported.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
wrpollock

Post by wrpollock »

My wife was the ward photographer in our last ward. We had a very transient ward so the bishopric wanted everyone’s picture on their profile so that new members would know who everyone was. She also posted new families pictures on a board in the foyer so everyone would know who the new families were. Obviously no one was forced to take a picture but it was very successful. The process was simple. She asked a certain number of families to take their picture right after church and then put them on a thumb drive and gave them to the Membership Clerk. He then uploaded them. It works great because when those people in our ward moved their picture stayed on their profile so their new ward already had a picture of them. I think the best way is for members to upload their own pictures, however it just isn’t happening.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

wrpollock wrote:I think the best way is for members to upload their own pictures, however it just isn’t happening.
What do you think the reason is that members don't upload their own pictures?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Gary_Miller wrote:What do you think the reason is that members don't upload their own pictures?
I think most reasons are covered in exactly what kirtkennedy said a few posts ago:
I think there are many reasons why people don't post their photo.
They don't know how, not important, afraid they don't look as good as they would like, etc, etc.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”