Death of non member -spouse of member

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jerry876

Death of non member -spouse of member

Post by jerry876 »

How do we record a death date of a non member spouse of a member without terminating the members record instead?
mfmohlma

Re: Death of non member -spouse of member

Post by mfmohlma »

Probably simply remove the spouse from the record (on the "spouse" tab).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mfmohlma wrote:Probably simply remove the spouse from the record (on the "spouse" tab).
Correct. Go to the member's record and "Terminate Marriage". You'll have to option to give the reason (death).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jerry876

Post by jerry876 »

I called membership records and was told that it can't be done, from my end. it has to be done from Church Headquarters membership records end. if both were members I could do it from my end by terminating the marriage because of Death of Spouse then entering death date of one of the spouses.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Perhaps there's an issue that keeps the changes to the member's spouse from syncing to the directory.

But I'd keep an eye on the record. If the marriage information doesn't disappear on it's own, then I'd update the record. Otherwise, I'm afraid the spouse is likely to reappear when the record is moved.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”