Updating own address

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
Bala

Updating own address

Post by Bala »

Should the members not be able to update their own addresses? I find that in my residential address the data is outdated and unable to update it on my own. There is no instruction in the help section to a procedure that could be initiated by the member. Any suggestions to fix this issue?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Updating own address

Post by aebrown »

Bala wrote:Should the members not be able to update their own addresses? I find that in my residential address the data is outdated and unable to update it on my own. There is no instruction in the help section to a procedure that could be initiated by the member. Any suggestions to fix this issue?
Talk to your ward clerk; he can update your address.

There are no instructions in the help section for members updating their own address because they can't do it. One possible reason that is not allowed is that addresses should be standardized, and members would not all be likely to enter their address in a standard format.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:One possible reason that is not allowed is that addresses should be standardized, and members would not all be likely to enter their address in a standard format.
I think a more likely possibility is that a new address may call for a move to another unit.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

russellhltn wrote:
aebrown wrote:One possible reason that is not allowed is that addresses should be standardized, and members would not all be likely to enter their address in a standard format.
I think a more likely possibility is that a new address may call for a move to another unit.
I agree that it's likely to ensure a member is in the correct unit.

If the standardized address was important enough to the church, it could choose to purchase such data where it is available and run addresses through data cleansing. I've seen some web sites that do it, and it's pretty cool...they give me my choice of keeping my address as I entered it or using the standardized address. I think it would be great if the church did this, but I don't know how much it would cost to implement and subscribe to the data. It might make mapping more accurate, too.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

mevans wrote:
russellhltn wrote:
I agree that it's likely to ensure a member is in the correct unit.

If the standardized address was important enough to the church, it could choose to purchase such data where it is available and run addresses through data cleansing. I've seen some web sites that do it, and it's pretty cool...they give me my choice of keeping my address as I entered it or using the standardized address. I think it would be great if the church did this, but I don't know how much it would cost to implement and subscribe to the data. It might make mapping more accurate, too.
Actually, the Clerk Resources Membership List tool online does now purport to provide standardized addresses for clerks when they edit addresses. Unfortunately, because of a design flaw, the "standardized" address is formatted wrong for apartment addresses. BTW, no standardization tool is available within MLS.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”