Downloading video from LDS.org

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
btelkamp

Downloading video from LDS.org

Post by btelkamp »

I've been trying to download the video from the latest General Conference for some months now and I always end up with the same problem. The download completes like normal but when I go to play the video it seems to end at some random spot, like it wasn't really all downloaded. I've tried different operating systems (even Linux) and different browsers, all with the same result. Recently I tried to download "The Work of Salvation" broadcast and I am having the same problem. I've done this many times in past years for members who don't make it to conference and have no computer or internet.

What could be my problem? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Downloading video from LDS.org

Post by lajackson »

btelkamp wrote:The download completes like normal but when I go to play the video it seems to end at some random spot, like it wasn't really all downloaded.
This problem showed up as we were trying to download the latest Leadership Training videos. See this topic for more details and some possible suggestions.

It appears that even though the computer says it has completed downloading the file, it has not. It also appears that if you just wait, it completes the download in most cases.

The challenge is in knowing how long to wait.
russelljd

Post by russelljd »

Which version (360p, 720p, 1080p) were you trying to download?
btelkamp

Post by btelkamp »

I just tried to download some stuff again and I let it run all night this time. Still the same result. I have tried all the different qualities, 360p, 720p, etc. and that has made no difference.
base1408

Post by base1408 »

Hi everyone. I'm having the same problem. But today I found out that if you drag the downloaded video file into your iTunes icon it will open and play very well.

I have been struggling since April. I was surprised by how fast the video downloaded (~5mins), and the icon for the video looked more like a text file than a video icon, So when it didn't work I wasn't surprised. I tried downloading different sizes (360, 720, 1080) neither seemed to work. I tried different browsers (safari and firefox). I tried using VLC player and it didn't work. So I said a short prayer and googled for solutions which led me to this page. But as I was dragging the video file onto Quicktime player 7 I accidentally dragged the folder onto my iTunes icon, and surprisingly it worked. It took a while to start playing, and I had given up when my screen froze all of a sudden and the video started playing.
Last edited by base1408 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

base1408 wrote:Hi everyone. I'm having the same problem. But today I found out that if you drag the downloaded video file into your iTunes icon it will open and play very well.
That suggests that maybe the problem isn't the file, but the player.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Main Church Website”