Cheques made out incorrectly

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Indiana

Cheques made out incorrectly

Post by Indiana »

What is the proper proceedure if a cheque is made out incorrectly?
a) post dated or stale dated cheque
b) cheque made out to wrong name .. ie made out to church instead of ward
c) amount does not match tithing slip

Are we allowed to change cheque in any way without the donators knowledge?

Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Cheques made out incorrectly

Post by russellhltn »

In the case of B, I'd just deposit it. For the other two, I'd return it to the donor.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Indiana wrote:c) amount does not match tithing slip
In this case, you certainly can't change the check, but you can change the donation slip. You can give the donor a quick call and find out what the real intention was and adjust the donation slip accordingly. Or the donor may say that the check was the mistake and ask it to be returned.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Indiana wrote:b) cheque made out to wrong name .. ie made out to church instead of ward
The approved payee names on a check are the ward, the church, or the combination of the church and the ward. Any other payee name should be returned to the check issuer.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

jdlessley wrote:
Indiana wrote:b) cheque made out to wrong name .. ie made out to church instead of ward
The approved payee names on a check are the ward, the church, or the combination of the church and the ward. Any other payee name should be returned to the check issuer.
In the UK the full name of the Church is the required criteria!

Looking at how the word cheque is spelt, I'm guessing that the OP is possibly from a non US/Canada country!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Biggles wrote:Looking at how the word cheque is spelt, I'm guessing that the OP is possibly from a non US/Canada country!
In Canada, the spelling is also "cheque."

But your point is good -- this is certainly a case where it would be helpful to know which country we are talking about.
Indiana

Post by Indiana »

Ontario Canada
Last edited by Indiana on Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana

Post by Indiana »

There are five things to check when dealing with a donor cheque.
Date - could be stale dated or post dated
Who it is made out to ... in Canada it should be Ward name not church or Bishop
Amounts should match ... (e.g. $75.00 … fifty seven ---- 00/XX)
Cheque also needs to be signed properly

The above I am guessing s/b returned to donor if in error. It does not state that on the website .... there is also an issue of hanging onto donor funds for too long of a time so that is why the question is being asked. The church website s/b in my opinion, more specific.

The last item to check is if the funds submitted match the donor slip. The church website states to change donation slip to match cheque and document proprly and notify donor ... I would assume that would be same for cash.
waynecooke

Post by waynecooke »

I feel VERY uncomfortable with "...change donation slip to match cheque and document properly and notify donor..." I have had times when the donation slip was correct and the check was incorrect. I feel much more comfortable contacting the member and seeing what they want to do. If the member is not able to be contacted, I give the slip and check, in a new sealed envelope, to the Bishop for him to maintain custody of until contact can be made with the member.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jdlessley wrote:
Handbook 1, 14.6.1 says that checks should be made out to the ward, not to the bishop or the Church.

If a check is made out to the Church, we will advise the member, but we usually try to deposit it, and the bank usually takes it.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”