Setting IP address for printers

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
ksteurer

Setting IP address for printers

Post by ksteurer »

I am the STS in the stake. The facility manager for our stake changed out the Firewall yesterday at one of our buildings that also has the FHC in it. The firewall was changed to the latest recommended.

He relayed to me that because of that the ip address will need to be reset for the FHC printer, and that he was not familiar enough to do this. Could I get some help knowing what that might mean and how I can do this for the FHC?

Thanks-
Keith
techgy
Community Moderators

Re: Setting IP address for printers

Post by techgy »

If the FHC and other pc's in the building are using Dynamic IP addressing (DHCP) and not assigning static IP's then you don't need to do anything. If, on the otherhand, the printers and computers have been assigned static IP's then each of those devices will need to be given a new static IP or else switch to Dynamic (DHCP).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd advise that printers be given a static IP. That way the other computers can find them. (Note, you'll probably have to reset all the computers to use the new IP address as well.) Also, Lexmark printers in a FHC are on a program where they are supposed to be monitored and new supplies are sent automatically when it runs low. That also means the printers have to be re-registered with the program.

Off hand I don't see a print-out of instructions, so I'll say you need to call headquarters: 866-406-1830.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BroderickC

Post by BroderickC »

Keith,

With the FHCs in North America we have been deploying Lexmark printers under a managed print solution. In order for us to detect low toner and other alerts, we need to have the printers configured with a static IP address. Without knowing what center you're referring to, it's difficult to tell you exactly how to configure the devices you have, but the configuration is fairly similar across the board. Below are the instructions for configuring an x466 MFP.

To change the IP address used by the Lexmark x466 printer:

On the printer screen, select Menus.
Select Network/Ports, then Standard Network.
Select STD NET SETUP.
Select TCP/IP, then IP Address.
Enter the static IP address you are using for the printer.
Press Submit.

Once you configure the devices with the new IP addresses, you'll need to notify FamilySearch by submitting a registration form for each device at https://fhcprofile.familysearchsupport.org/printers/new.

If you need additional support, please call FamilySearch at 866-406-1830. They are available 24x7.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

If you access familysearch.org and login... choose Get Help - Product Support and search for Lexmark printer install you will see some very good documentation for your issue.

https://familysearch.org/ask/productSupport (that is a shortcut to the link)
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
ksteurer

Post by ksteurer »

Thank you for all the help with this question!

Keith

Return to “Family History Centers”