Cisco Aironet 1200 wireless access points

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
clbeazer

Cisco Aironet 1200 wireless access points

Post by clbeazer »

I have some questions regarding the Cisco Aironet 1200's that were installed as part of the CCN in our Stake Center/FHC. With all of the problems with connecting the Admin computers through LDS Access, we initially decided to go with a wired system. I was hoping to connect through a 4 or 5 point switch with a patch cord to the WAP and one to the Admin computer. The problem I am having is that the WAP is line-powered through an injector, which apparently won't pass through the switch. If I switch to local power for the WAP, will I have to re-configure the Access point? I am trying to avoid pulling 1200' of new cable, since three of the WAPs are each within 30' of the clerk's offices. Any help out there:confused:
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cbeazer wrote:If I switch to local power for the WAP, will I have to re-configure the Access point?
How would you get local power to the WAP? There are electrical codes that have to be followed. You can't legally just run an extension cord up there.

Without knowing all the details, for safety and compliance reasons, I'd suggest pulling the 1200' cable. If you still want to pursue local power, then I'd enlist the help of an electrician, just to be in compliance with electrical codes. Remember, you need to get permission from the FM group for any changes to the building, so you might want to have them do the changes.
daddy-o-p40

Post by daddy-o-p40 »

Cable is better for speed and doesn't have issues penetrating walls.

My two cents are use Cat6 Plenum cable. Let me know if you are nearby and I'll help you run the cables.
"What have I done for someone today?" Thomas Monson
clbeazer

Post by clbeazer »

After some discussion with the GSD, we decided the best way would be to go ahead and pull the cable. On that note, I did get a very positive response from the GSD when asking about pushing LDS Access to the AP's in the building, so they seem to have received the proper instruction. Thanks for the input.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

cbeazer wrote:I was hoping to connect through a 4 or 5 point switch with a patch cord to the WAP and one to the Admin computer. The problem I am having is that the WAP is line-powered through an injector, which apparently won't pass through the switch. If I switch to local power for the WAP, will I have to re-configure the Access point? I am trying to avoid pulling 1200' of new cable, since three of the WAPs are each within 30' of the clerk's offices.

It took me a while to figure out what I think you are asking. You see our setup involves three WAPs also. The first is obviously the root hardwired to the network while the other two are repeaters - meaning they are not hard wired to the network but retransmit the signal from the root to a wireless network device and vice versa.

To answer your question, the WAP can be powered directly from the power converter or from the power injector using the nework cable. The power injector merely acts as a device to get the converted power into the network cable using a spare pair of the four pair wires in the cable. The power injector uses the same power converter which would otherwise be plugged into the WAP. It does not matter which method is used to power the WAP with regard to configuration of the WAP (I assume you meant firmware configuration.).

The only (firmware) reconfiguring you would have to do to the WAPs is if you changed from being hardwired to the network to acting as a repeater. And that is easily done in a few minutes. (Or at least easy for me because the GSD level 2 does all the reprogramming.)

All you have to do is run cable from the switch to the power injector and then to the WAP. Where the power injector is on the way from the switch to the WAP is immaterial. The primary reason for using power injectors for the WAPs instead of having power directly supplied to them is the nearest location of a 120v outlet to the WAP. By using the power injector, the reduced voltage (9 or 12 volts)can be sent over the network cable more safely that stringing 120 volt power extension cords. For repeater WAPs network cable is used to supply power only.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”