Sophos blocking DNS with reason of "Memory Modified"

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
sj3vans

Sophos blocking DNS with reason of "Memory Modified"

Post by sj3vans »

I have had 3 clerk computers (running Sophos) suddenly lose access to the Internet. Upon further analysis and calls to support, we found that Sophos is blocking DNS requests with a reason of "Memory Modified". One support person had me disable the firewall as a work around. Not good. I found that I was able to turn it back on by disabling the "Memory Modified" check. I'd rather not do that either but its better than running with no firewall. I thought that perhaps there was a virus but I have not been able to locate one with different scanning programs (aside from Sophos which is also not reporting anything else) nor am i seeing any other signs that there is one. Still something odd must be causing it as its only been seen on 3 units' computers (in different buildings). Any ideas? Thanks.
jtwitchell

Re: Sophos blocking DNS with reason of "Memory Modified"

Post by jtwitchell »

May not be a big issue, but something to look at. Sophos recommends this: http://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/kno ... 29248.aspx to look and see what applications are causing the issue. I found it interesting that they said in the article "Disabling this feature will not compromise the endpoint protection level when suspicious behaviour has been enabled in Sophos Anti-Virus." Still, it is safer to check and maybe run a different antivirus as a check.
Sokly

Re: Sophos blocking DNS with reason of "Memory Modified"

Post by Sokly »

The Sophos KB provided by jtwitchell does provide the solution to the problem. Additionally, I would like to know what applicaiton is being blocked by Sophos to prevent DNS from working properly if you're able to find out.

Return to “Clerk Computers”