Getting name in MLS and LDS.org to match

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
critterdoc2

Getting name in MLS and LDS.org to match

Post by critterdoc2 »

We have a part member family with the husband a member and the wife a non-member. Her name was misspelled in MLS initially and I corrected it last week. I cannot get that same information to update to LDS.org however. It still has the misspelling and i don't see a way to correct it on LDS.org. Is there a trick to this?

arm
eblood66

Re: Getting name in MLS and LDS.org to match

Post by eblood66 »

critterdoc2 wrote:We have a part member family with the husband a member and the wife a non-member. Her name was misspelled in MLS initially and I corrected it last week. I cannot get that same information to update to LDS.org however. It still has the misspelling and i don't see a way to correct it on LDS.org. Is there a trick to this?

arm
How did you change her name? Do you have a non-member record for her? If so, changing the name on the non-member record won't update lds.org. Non-member records are local to MLS and aren't visible to the web site.

To update lds.org you'll need to edit the spouse information on the husband's record. That's where lds.org gets its information for non-member spouses.
critterdoc2

Post by critterdoc2 »

I initially thought that I only changed the non member record but went in and checked, I had changed his record and her non-member record. I have also done several send recieves since then as well.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

On her non-member record, there's more then one blank - you've got the legal name and the preferred name. Have both of those been changed?

After that, my guess would be to do a unit refresh and see what happens to the name on the records.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

critterdoc2 wrote:I initially thought that I only changed the non member record but went in and checked, I had changed his record and her non-member record. I have also done several send recieves since then as well.
What does it show when you view his record on the Clerk or Leader Resources site? Does his wife show up correctly or not?
critterdoc2

Post by critterdoc2 »

member list in clerk/leader resources has the wrong spelling, as does LDS Tools.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

critterdoc2 wrote:member list in clerk/leader resources has the wrong spelling, as does LDS Tools.
It sounds like the information isn't getting sent to CHQ for some reason. I'd try to get MLS to resend it by changing the name, saving and then changing it back (all on the Current Spouse screen for the husband's record).

If that doesn't work then you could send a Special Request to ask LUS to make the change.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

critterdoc2 wrote:We have a part member family with the husband a member and the wife a non-member. Her name was misspelled in MLS initially and I corrected it last week. I cannot get that same information to update to LDS.org however. It still has the misspelling and i don't see a way to correct it on LDS.org. Is there a trick to this?
My understanding is that non-member spouse names on lds.org and LDS Tools are populated directly from the master membership record, not from the names as edited in the primary MLS names interface. Entering or deleting the optional non-member records in MLS have no effect on the non-member spouses appearing in lds.org. The non-member spouse names are harvested online from the otherwise confidential detail of the marriage on the master membership record (which is why they maddenly and sometimes hurtfully are published by default all non-member spouses whether the member likes it or not. See this thread.)

So check the membership record family detail for the husband in MLS (which might include family members who may not even be on the ward roster because they don't live in the ward) and see if the wife's name is misspelled. If so, I think you can correct the marriage record there.
critterdoc2

Post by critterdoc2 »

Actually, all locations i can find on the husbands record now have her name spelled correctly and I have done several send recieves since then and it appears to not be populating LDS.org correctly (as already noted). i will try changing it again to see if it goes through this time.

arm
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

critterdoc2 wrote:Actually, all locations i can find on the husbands record now have her name spelled correctly and I have done several send recieves since then and it appears to not be populating LDS.org correctly (as already noted). i will try changing it again to see if it goes through this time.
This includes the MLS screen where the marriage is recorded, with marriage date and place?

Return to “Membership Help”