"Do Not Visit" Home Teaching Companionships

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jbgillam

"Do Not Visit" Home Teaching Companionships

Post by jbgillam »

Hey All,

We have a number of members who do not want to be visited. Some of them are in the process of having their names removed. Anyway, I've been grouping them in MLS as a home teaching companionship with myself as the only home teacher. The problem is that I'm the only person who knows about that grouping so the missionaries and members from other auxiliaries continue to visit, making the people angry/angrier.

I'd prefer some sort of "do not visit" feature that would group together these individuals, publish their status on reports, keep them out of home teaching stats, etc. Is there any way to do this?

Regards,

Brian
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: "Do Not Visit" Home Teaching Companionships

Post by lajackson »

jbgillam wrote:I'd prefer some sort of "do not visit" feature that would group together these individuals, publish their status on reports, keep them out of home teaching stats, etc. Is there any way to do this?
No. Church leaders have provided specific instruction not to do this using tools or reports in MLS.

The best way I have found is for the bishop to communicate carefully in ward council to help leaders understand the needs and desires of each member of the ward, including those who do not wish to be involved at the present time for whatever reason.

3 Nephi 18:30 provides additional guidance.
jbgillam

Post by jbgillam »

I wasn't aware of the direction from the Brethren. In any event, I don't think 3 Nephi 18:30 applies in these particular cases since these folks have no desire to fellowship with the members of the Church, take the sacrament, etc. The scriptural comparison that comes most readily to mind is Alma 1:22-24.

Anyway, if there's no way to do it in MLS then there's no way to do it. Thanks for the quick reply.

Regards,

Brian
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The subject of "DNC" has been discussed many times. The most recent thread is here.

You'll find that it's against policy for the notation to be made on the membership record. Your strategy of using HT districts seems to be the norm. The only thing I can suggest is that everyone needs to communicate.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jbgillam wrote:Alma 1:22-24.
And that is why the bishop has the keys. He will be able to discern which verses apply.

If I recall correctly, the specific instruction was that records in MLS not be marked or identified as "do not contact".

Personally, I do not have any problem grouping families with similar interests (or not) into one home teaching or visiting teaching district if the bishop chooses to have you do so, as long as nothing shows up on a list or report that indicates a do not contact status.

But as russellhltn said, I agree that the key will always be to keep leaders informed. so that they know best how to bless the lives of the members. (And it sounds as if the ward mission leader might help the missionaries with other names to visit, as well.)

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”