3rd party Church content distribution service?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
daddy-o-p40

3rd party Church content distribution service?

Post by daddy-o-p40 »

I came across www.ifyeareprepare.org today. It is a really cool idea.

This site doesn't have an about us and it's whois registry is private. Looking by the design it does not appear to be a church site.

So my question is how is this site able to distribute church content (aka copyrighted material)?

I recognize that current church policy has issues dealing web 2.0 stuff. But until policies are improved.......how is this permitted given it clearly is violating policy and copyright laws (assuming no written permission was obtained) ?
"What have I done for someone today?" Thomas Monson
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Could not get the links to display on the status bar at the bottom of the browser so I can't tell if they are posting the content on their site or are actually just linking to it.

I know of a couple other sites that are simply providing backlinks to the content, not creating internal redirects, or reposting on their site. Those sites do it that way so that you know you are viewing or listening to the content from the original source, and not their particular site.
The_Earl

Post by The_Earl »

enriquer wrote:I came across ifyeareprepared.org today. It is a really cool idea.

This site doesn't have an about us and it's whois registry is private. Looking by the design it does not appear to be a church site.

So my question is how is this site able to distribute church content (aka copyrighted material)?

I recognize that current church policy has issues dealing web 2.0 stuff. But until policies are improved.......how is this permitted given it clearly is violating policy and copyright laws (assuming no written permission was obtained) ?
More importantly, there is no copyright or identifying information that I can find on the site. The bulk of the site seems to be directly copied church content with the church's copyright removed.

TomW, someone needs to know about this :(

And someone needs to make this official. I like it!

The Earl
jmaxwilson

Post by jmaxwilson »

This is related to my post on this thread:

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1219#9

to which I am still awaiting a reply.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

enriquer wrote:I came across www.ifyeaareprepare.org today. It is a really cool idea.
I couldn't get that link to work. Are you talking about http://www.ifyeareprepared.org?
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

I've passed the site on to our IP and correlation departments for review.

Tom
daddy-o-p40

Post by daddy-o-p40 »

RussellHltn wrote:I couldn't get that link to work. Are you talking about http://www.ifyeareprepared.org?

Yep, I can't type. Fixed it.
"What have I done for someone today?" Thomas Monson
richmanll
Church Employee
Church Employee

Response About IfYeArePrepared.org

Post by richmanll »

FYI, we've contacted the owner of http://IfYeArePrepared.org.
  1. We've determined that they are not scraping, storing, modifying, or adjusting LDS.org content on their site. They are simply a delivery platform or service to the audio and video files that are on LDS.org.
  2. We have asked them to clarify that they are not an official site of the Church, which they have now done on their About Us page, referenced in the footer on the site.

Return to “General Discussions”