LDS TOOLS MOBILE APP FOR IOS PLATFORMS

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Member Tools Application.
jerryarnoldblauer

LDS TOOLS MOBILE APP FOR IOS PLATFORMS

Post by jerryarnoldblauer »

Many of us are experiencing numerous corruption issues with LDS TOOLS MOBILE APP for IOS.
We have searched for several weeks and can't find any help.

1) Upon opening and attempting to tap on any field, the APP randomly and suddenly closes out.

2) For those of us with Leadership access to extra fields, we are all experiencing some remarkable corruptions.
A. The Marraige Tab information field is completely blank, without any matrix, or form. All the crucial data we have had access to from its onset, has disappeared for the last three months.
B. The Ordinace Tab opens up, yet has shifted to some sort of factory default setting for every member. It DISPLAYS ALL ORDINANCE DATES TO BE 1 JANUARY 1970, for every Member's field, no matter when they were born.

We have contacted Global Services, who tells us there is nothing they can do, as they are provided with no information as to what department handles LDS TOOLS, or how to contact them. I have been given various conflicting answers and told to uninstall/reinstall the APP, report through the Feedback tab on lds.org, as well as from the APP itself. This has proven to be nothing more than a black hole. The APP is uterly worthless and in the meantime, critical, confidential information is continuosly corrupting.

Will someone please tell me whom I should contact? Or should I just inform everyone in our Unit to uninstall LDS TOOLS and forget about the moble access to such information?

I even contacted the Priesthood Department concerning the matter, as instructed by a Technician from Global Services, who told me that unless Priesthood Leadership at a high level in the Church is contacted, then nothing will happen. I spoke with a sister there, who reassured me I would be contacted. It never happened.

Jerry Arnold Blauer
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: LDS TOOLS MOBILE APP FOR IOS PLATFORMS

Post by jdlessley »

jerryarnoldblauer wrote:We have contacted Global Services, who tells us there is nothing they can do, as they are provided with no information as to what department handles LDS TOOLS, or how to contact them.
The mobile applications are a community development effort and not supported by the church. Instead each operating system has a community development team that provides the support for their operating system. There is a submit bug report feature in the app help. Alternatively you can send a message to ios-support@ldsmail.net.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jerryarnoldblauer wrote:Will someone please tell me whom I should contact? Or should I just inform everyone in our Unit to uninstall LDS TOOLS and forget about the moble access to such information?
jdlessley gave you the contact. That email address is the method of reaching the developers and they do read the mail. (They do not always respond, but often they do.)

I would not uninstall the app. It is sad that this is the second time all dates display as January 1st of whatever year. If I were still using iOS, I would be frustrated and disappointed (again).

But they will get through it. The volunteer developers will get it fixed and working again. And the app will be valuable once more. The last time something this disastrous happened, they got if fixed fairly quickly and a new update was available at the app store within a few weeks.

One of their challenges is that the iOS changes often and is not always backwards compatible. Before I left my iPod Touch (for other reasons), I had to keep it from updating the software, because the newer version of LDS Tools would no longer run on my older device.

That is just one of the things that comes along as a benefit to a closed system. Because I am not a programmer, I am stuck with all the things that come along as a benefit to an open system, as well (although LDS Tools is working just fine for me right now).

I am sure they are scrambling to fix it. The developers want just as badly to be able to use LDS Tools on iOS as you do.
jerryarnoldblauer

Post by jerryarnoldblauer »

I am unaware of any contact that was supposedly given to me. Why is it that we never hear from the Development Team that they even know their is a problem? How do you know they are working to fix this disaster? If something this disaterous occurred before and was quickly fixed, why has their been no response or results for months now. There has not been IOS updates for LDS Tools for several months or more. The fact that communication is blocked, ignored and that this issue is being stonewalled is very frustrating and disturbing. I am uninstalling LDS Tools and will not even bother to try to get help anymore, since all I get are empty promises from whoever tells me they are addressing the problem. I give up, as no one will allow access to the actual Development Team. There is access for LDS APPS for everything but LDS Tools. Why is that?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: LDS Tools Mobile App for iOS Platforms

Post by lajackson »

jerryarnoldblauer wrote:I am unaware of any contact that was supposedly given to me. . . .
all I get are empty promises from whoever tells me they are addressing the problem.
Two posts previous to yours, jdlessley gave you the contact information.
There is a submit bug report feature in the app help. Alternatively you can send a message to ios-support@ldsmail.net.
What did they promise when you wrote to them?

jdlessley also correctly said,
The mobile applications are a community development effort and not supported by the church. Instead each operating system has a community development team that provides the support for their operating system.
I understand your frustration. In its present form, LDS Tools (iOS version) is not entirely helpful. There is no one here at the Forum who can change that.

Those who use LDS Tools are entirely at the mercy of those who have volunteered their time to maintain this app. Apparently, things are not going so well with the iOS version right now. (Funny, this used to be the Android complaint.)
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jerryarnoldblauer wrote:There is access for LDS APPS for everything but LDS Tools. Why is that?
If by LDS APPS you mean everything at LDS.org then yes, those are maintained by full-time Church employees. As previously mentioned, LDS Tools was developed by volunteers who give their personal time to the app.
jernstc3

Post by jernstc3 »

Mention of testing with 22 emails has me puzzled as I can not locate how I should download via the iPhone; or iTunes method perchance, provided someone will supply a link that works. Otherwise there can be no testing to report on the beta version. Any answers as to how I will download the beta version for LDS Tools?

Return to “iPhone/iPad Member Tools App”