WWLT and sharing computers with missionaries

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
atticusewig

WWLT and sharing computers with missionaries

Post by atticusewig »

Reading over notes the article about the most recent World Wide Leadership Training, this
was said:

“During less-productive times of the day—chiefly in the mornings—missionaries will use computers in meetinghouses and other Church facilities to contact investigators and members, work with local priesthood leaders and missionary leaders, receive and contact referrals, follow up on commitments, confirm appointments, and teach principles from [the missionary guide] Preach My Gospel using Mormon.org, Facebook, blogs, email, and text messages,” Elder Perry said.

I was unable to attend the meeting, and haven't watched it online yet, but does this indicate
that Missionaries will be using the computers in the clerk's offices to do this ?

If so, will the Stake President still determine what software is installed, or the Mission
President, as the Missionaries might have different software needs than wards do ?

Also, I take it that such changes will mean clerks will need to be more diligent in
keeping records locked up and out of sight.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: WWLT and sharing computers with missionaries

Post by aebrown »

After the statement you quoted, Elder Perry went on to say that this Internet access will be introduced in phases over the next several months and into next year. So we don't have to be concerned right now -- policies and guidelines will be given to us before our individual wards and stakes are involved with missionaries using our computers.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

We have had problems with missionaries using FHC computers. Some FHC directors have changed passwords to keep them off the computers.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:After the statement you quoted, Elder Perry went on to say that this Internet access will be introduced in phases over the next several months and into next year. So we don't have to be concerned right now -- policies and guidelines will be given to us before our individual wards and stakes are involved with missionaries using our computers.
There are some things that I hope are given serious thought:
  • Seprate logins
  • Allow the clerk login to have different passwords
  • Printing supplies
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

drepouille wrote:We have had problems with missionaries using FHC computers. Some FHC directors have changed passwords to keep them off the computers.
For the sacrifice that the missionaries make, its real easy for me to clean up any mistakes that may arise, as we allow them to use the FHC computers on Mondays. FHC is closed on Mondays, & its how they communicate with their families.

If the history center is setup with deep-freeze from the church, any changes made on Monday are gone with a simple reboot of the computer. Deep-freeze could be your friend. Please reconsider.

In our wards that are to far for them to drive, we simply have a limited account for them to use.

Everyone has proper backups Right?
Roland
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

I will welcome the missionaries into the clerks office to use the computer with open arms. I will help them get a key so they can. There is nothing in the office that they can bother, the important items are locked in the file cabnet. I don't care if they use up all my paper and ink if they feel its a need, we can always buy more. I see no need to password the computer they can't hurt anything any more than anyone else who is using the computer. In-fact I wish they would get rid of the opening password for windows anyway its just a waste of time having to type it in. MLS has its own password so that's not a problem.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Gary_Miller wrote:In-fact I wish they would get rid of the opening password for windows anyway its just a waste of time having to type it in. MLS has its own password so that's not a problem.
All very well until someone installs a non sanctioned program riddled with viruses, as happened in one of our Wards recently! It took about 3 days of work to get rid of them. I was originally called to look at this computer because it booted into a BSOD. This I now suspect was caused by the virus(e's)!

I know I should have just wiped the drive and started frm scratch, but they had a lot of material that required preserving. Because of travel and other commitments on my part, it meant they were without their ADMIN computer for 2 Sundays!

I'm not implying that this was something the Missionaries did, but the principle of the password is, at least, a deterrent for non authorised use of said ADMIN computer! This computer did have a password when originally installed, but obviously someone decided that it was too much bother to type in a password occasionally! I then had to deal with the consequences!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

I know we're all interested in what might happen with Elder Perry's announcement, but really we don't know any details. We don't know if missionary usage will be limited to FHC computers, or if it will involve administrative computers. We do know that guidelines will be given to us at some time, but we don't know what they will say. I'd advise keeping speculation to a minimum until we receive those guidelines.
atticusewig

Post by atticusewig »

I'm hoping the guidelines make it to the ward and stakes,
and not to just the missions. Communication isn't really
a strong point for the church. While, the website is good
at mentioning the WWLT, the letters archive doesn't have
anything describing this monumental change to missionary
work. In my ward, nothing about this change has been said
from the pulpit, so hopefully a letter to be read to
congregations will be coming soon.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

atticusewig wrote:In my ward, nothing about this change has been said from the pulpit, so hopefully a letter to be read to congregations will be coming soon.
I wouldn't expect any letter to be coming soon, and I don't think anything should be said on this particular topic from the pulpit until the official guidelines are published. Even then, Elder Perry made it clear that this would be phased in over time, so some units will be involved long before some other units.

So until something official comes that applies to our particular wards and stakes, we just remain patient and make no changes in how we interact with missionaries and meetinghouse computers.

Return to “Clerk Computers”